Hi guys, I`ve got a question thats been bugging me for a long time. I`m working at a place that details business jets. The department has only existed for about 3 years, and the guy that has been doing the interior detailing since the beginning is pretty set in his ways. One of his ways, which he teaches to all new hires, like myself, is that leather seats (OK, point of order here: Leather seats on airplanes cost thousands of dollars each; people spend tens of thousands of dollars upholstering their seats with the finest italian leather they can buy; the leather feels more like a sheepskin jacket than automotive leather) are cleaned in the following manor:

1. Spray seat with a 50% solution of isopropyl alcohol and water.
2. Rub with rag.

And that is it.

I don`t know how astonished I should be about this; I would NEVER do this to a piece of leather I cared about, much less to clients paying $55 an hour for the service. The seats on the planes we do the most look awful, the grain is impacted with grime. It doesn`t, however, seem to much affect softness, or coloration, as far as I can tell. And no one ever complains either.

So, what do you guys think about this practice? It seems ill advised at the very least, and a mocking aproximation of proper leather cleaning at best. Would/does anyone here do this? Or has anyone heard of using alcohol like this before? Thanks for the input.