Post Thanks / Like

Need Pinstriping tips

A neighbor of mine asked if I could pinstripe his car. He used the wrong tip while using his pressure washer. Any tips on taking it off and applying the new stripes would be GREATELY APPRECIATED thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to write back to my own threads, but someone here has to know the best way to remove pinstriping. This stuffs a pain in the A**!

Post Thanks / Like
    If it`s the stick on kind try using a hairdryer and gently pulling at it. The use an adhesive remover or citrus based cleaner to get the residue off. If that fails just take it to the coin wash, drop in a few quarters and blast it off with the pressure hose

Post Thanks / Like
    The hair dryer method always worked for me if it just didn`t pull right off. I then use a cleaner-citrus or otherwise to remove the glue. Before I put the new stripe on I always went over the area with a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol to make sure all the old adhesive and any wax is off so that the new stripe adheres well.

As for putting it on, all I can say is a good eye and a steady hand--its not hard--I usually run the stripe the whole side of the car off of the roll, then I cut it at the doors and body panels. This way I can judge to see if I have good alignment and no dips in the striping. I dont loop/wrap it around the doors because it doesnt look like a factory stripe--they always end it at or a little before the end of the panel.

HTH

bill g

PS
    If you have a chance get 3M stripes(found at local body supply shops)- they seem to work the best for me for adherence--never had any come off, unlike the Autozone/PepBoys varieties.

Thread Information