"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time with this problem....

Me too! Thanks J.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    Let us know how it comes out.
    Well after going thru a lot of different processes I managed to get the water spots under control.

I went and ordered Poorboy`s SSR3. I also used a product from Hawaii that was sent to me by an Autopian. The product is called RX-7. An automobile acid. Using rubber gloves and a MF towel I saturated the whole area with the acid. Then I primed a wool pad on my PC with detail spray. Then a small line of SSR3. I worked the rocker panel area with the PC. Taking about one half hour per panel. I was constanly checking for any damage that I may be causing using such an abrasive swirl remover. Once the SSR3 was worked to the fullest I cleaned the area and applied more product. It took three passes on each panel to get what i consider decent results. I did the same thing to the wheels with even better results.

Hope I never get into that situation again.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    That crud was like two part epoxy on hormones!!!
    I know for a fact that 2-part won`t go anywhere with anyting I can get my hands on quickly.

Well..... a cutting torch, but that`s not too paint friendly.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Post Thanks / Like

I have come across this problem a few times.
    apparently those tree sap or tar marks leave blemishes in the clear coat.

I have rubbed the offending stains out with spirits.
    I then applied cutting compound onto a velcro backed yellow foam waffle pad on a machine polisher and cut the panel.

I then applied a `swirl remover` polishing cream onto a velcro backed black foam finishing waffle pad on a machine polisher and gave the panel a once over.

the result is a crystal clear panel with no swirl marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds alot like overspray to me.Surprised no one mentioned this.

Post Thanks / Like

Overspray it was not, I`ve dealt with that before and clay removes it. I still don`t know what it was but that job is long done and gone. You excel in finding threads that are years old and commenting on them, eh? Trying to get that post count up?

Post Thanks / Like

lol, i started reading this and was like, "man i`d swear that i knew of someone having this same problem before" then I noticed the original post date. Almost a 4 year old thread back from the dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Overspray it was not, I`ve dealt with that before and clay removes it. I still don`t know what it was but that job is long done and gone. You excel in finding threads that are years old and commenting on them, eh? Trying to get that post count up?

Yes I am going to reach 1,000 by May 31st(Lord Willin)

To me it really doesn`t matter When/Who the original post was made.....It is still relevent to maybe someone who might run across this problem.Actually another reason is I hope to attrack "New Members" there are alot of "Visitors" I wish would move to "Tha City"......come on in folks...Tha Water is Fine...

Post Thanks / Like

RTexasF

I had a similar problem..and after showing pictures to a few experts..like Ron Ketchum and Bud Abrams and a few others ..I was told it was Aphid excrement from Aphids in the trees....

if was sap it would come off with a paint cleaner type product..and it did not...So I was told to use Mineral spirits and it would remove it..and it did..was some work..but it worked....

also tell him do not park under that tree as it will happen again...until the aphids are destroyed...

some info

You may be more familiar with insect excrement than you realize. Chandler says that if you have ever parked under a tree (here we go with the cars again) and have come back to find the car covered in tiny droplets of sap, it may be that the tree is heavily infested with aphids or scale insects. It`s not tiny drops of sap leaking from the tree, but rather from the insects. The tree sap has far more carbohydrates than the insects can use, but they need to suck in large amounts to get enough of the other nutrients they need.

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AL-53 View Post
    RTexasF

I had a similar problem..and after showing pictures to a few experts..like Ron Ketchum and Bud Abrams and a few others ..I was told it was Aphid excrement from Aphids in the trees....

if was sap it would come off with a paint cleaner type product..and it did not...So I was told to use Mineral spirits and it would remove it..and it did..was some work..but it worked....

also tell him do not park under that tree as it will happen again...until the aphids are destroyed...

some info

You may be more familiar with insect excrement than you realize. Chandler says that if you have ever parked under a tree (here we go with the cars again) and have come back to find the car covered in tiny droplets of sap, it may be that the tree is heavily infested with aphids or scale insects. It`s not tiny drops of sap leaking from the tree, but rather from the insects. The tree sap has far more carbohydrates than the insects can use, but they need to suck in large amounts to get enough of the other nutrients they need.

Al

See this is why I believe in the Ressurection.

This additional info may have never made it to post other wise.

Thanks, Al

Post Thanks / Like

can someone explain the best way one should go about using some mineral spirts to remove such, i remember people using mineral spirts to strip paint.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbochargedv8 View Post
    can someone explain the best way one should go about using some mineral spirts to remove such, i remember people using mineral spirts to strip paint.
    Mineral Spirits is a fairly weak solvent compared to something like acetone. So as long as it is pure mineral spirits (no harsher solvents mixed in) you can apply it with out much worry of harming plastics or the paint. You still need to be cautious because there are sensitive plastics that it can damage.

Their are still quite a few paint cleaners/polishes that have mineral spirits in them along with some powdery abrasives which would make them a quicker choice IMO for removing what has been mentioned on the paint surfaces that is.

I don`t know for sure but I believe Poorboy`s Quick Wax (not to be confused with his QD+) is one that has lots of mineral spirits in it which is what gives it the cleaning power it has.

So to answer your question. Wear some gloves and a folded soft towel and apply with some gentle rubbing. Don`t go right to rubbing. Apply it to a small section completely wiping repeatedly to keep the surface wet allowing the solvent to do it it`s job dwelling on the surface. Then do some gentle rubbing to remove the contamination.

One more thing, when you heard people stripped paint with mineral spirits it was probably fresh overspray.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information