Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WaffleWeed
    Post Thanks / Like

woolite + leather question??

hi everyone,

i have a scenario to tell you all and i want your opinion on this. ok here it goes.

lets say i go over my leather with a 1:6(1=woolite, 6=water) diluted woolite on my leather to take off the dust and spots. afterwards i apply fourstar leather conditioner on my leather for protection and smoothness.

i wait a a couple of weeks and afterwards, i go over my leather with diluted woolite again and this time, i apply aerospace 303 protectant on my leather for further protection on my leather.

now, my question is this: assume i already have fourstar on my leather, would going over my leather with diluted woolite before applying 303 strip off the fourstar product??

i want the maximum protection for my leather but i dont want to apply 303 if the woolite strips off the fourstar conditioner. i appreciate the inputs and hopefully someone can help me out.

tsx2004

Post Thanks / Like

Re: woolite + leather question??

Can`t help on this one. I use leather cleaner and conditioner right out of the bottle. There are some things I like a home remedy for, but leather care is something I leave to the professionals. Wolfgang and Four Star have never steered me wrong yet, so I`ll stick with those.

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

now, my question is this: assume i already have fourstar on my leather, would going over my leather with diluted woolite before applying 303 strip off the fourstar product??

Well the conditioner is soaking into or conditioning the leather with its aloe or lanolyn or whatever it is that keeps it from craking.

So the woolite will clean it and the cionditioner helps it stay plyable .

Use the woolite for regular cleaning and condition every 1 to 2 months depending on usage and sun exposer.
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There`s a guy on an owner`s website that I post to who works in the leather industry. He advises against using watered down Woolite on leather. I can`t remember his reasoning.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

btw, Woolite in Canada is "Zero", also called, "Zero by Woolite"
    Took me a while to figure it out.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

OK. I found the post I mentioned above.
    OK...here is the lowdown on Woolite. The original formula was in the vicinity of that which is supposed to be used on leather, but the formula has been changed and now the pH is right around 7.0. Remember the proper pH is supposed to be around 4.5. For example, the pH of The Townsend Leather/Leather Institute products are in the range of 4.5 to 5.5.

Woolite is formulated at around 7.0, which is also the pH of regular water...fine to be drank, but a little high to be used on leather. Now what I have been hearing is the dilution theory, that you can dilute the cleaner down 6:1 with water and then it can be used on leather.

Here are the two faults:
    1. You are starting with a product that actually has an improper pH for leather, while it isn’t as bad as using some of the garbage out there, there are certainly better solutions.

2. The dilution... after adding all that water, you then have such a weak solution that you might as well be using water on the leather which we have already said is not good to use over the long term.

To sum it up, there are certainly better products you can use on your leather than Woolite, namely those made by companies that solely deal in leather. On the other side of the card, we have seen products that are said to be safe on leather that are actually worse than using Woolite.

For those of you who forgot what the importance of pH is, if the cleaner has too high of a pH, the leather fibers will actually start breaking away from one another as the protein bonds that hold them together weaken and you will eventually be able to tear your leather just like you would a piece of paper. We saw an example of this on an airline, within a month of using an improper pH cleaner a couple times a week, every seat had to be replaced as they were tearing apart everywhere, cost millions of dollars to replace. Obviously you won’t be cleaning your seats twice a week, but if you plan to keep you car for a few years this could definitely come into play. Especially since the cleaner can easily access the leather through the perforations.

My personal opinion:

For the little bit of cleaner you will need to do the seats of your much loved possesion, I would spring for the right products. These products really will never go bad so you can buy in larger quantities and get the bulk size discounts. Even just buying a quart of the right cleaner should last a couple years on your S. As for conditioner, you will use approximately 1/4 of the amount of cleaner you use as not much is necessary at all.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

While I don`t disagree with what he says since I have no idea as to the validity of his comments, I do have a question.
    Any chance he is associated with Townsend Leather/Leather Institute products?

The use of Woolite/water I picked up from a repected detailer on another site. That sure doesn`t mean that he is right either.

My use of Woolite & water is not cost related, but becuase of the cleaning it does and the fact that I thought it to be harmless to the leather.
    FWIW, it does do a pretty good job of cleaning even at the 6:1 dilution ratio.

Anyway, it does give me a reason to rethink my process. Maybe a regular leather cleaner might be the better choice.

Charles

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Charles . There might be a better product out there . The diluted woolite is the best cleaner out there for me. I have done some pretty bad cars that people don`t do anything with the leather . So I have to get the best cleaner I know of to get good results . Then condition .

One question about PH . Whats the scale of high and low ? While the poster says ph 4.5 is recommended and woolite is ph 7 . On a scale off what ? 1 to 10 ? or 1 to 1000.

I wonder what the PH balance of the cleaner they used on the aircraft seats ? Was it higher than 10? or 50? or 100?

Not enough info for me to stop using woolite mix . When diluted it works better . After woolite I always follow with a conditioner.

Whats the PH of SGreen
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

Post Thanks / Like

The ph scale goes from 1-14 with the low end being acid and the high end alkaline. Obviously 7 would be neutral.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    While I don`t disagree with what he says since I have no idea as to the validity of his comments, I do have a question.
    Any chance he is associated with Townsend Leather/Leather Institute products?
    He does work there. However, I have seen many many posts about leather/leather cleaners from this guy and he does not bash products methods just because they are not the ones he prefers or the company he works for.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Townsend Leather/Leather Institute emplyee
    OK...here is the lowdown on Woolite. The original formula was in the vicinity of that which is supposed to be used on leather, but the formula has been changed and now the pH is right around 7.0. Remember the proper pH is supposed to be around 4.5. For example, the pH of The Townsend Leather/Leather Institute products are in the range of 4.5 to 5.5.

Woolite is formulated at around 7.0, which is also the pH of regular water...fine to be drank, but a little high to be used on leather. Now what I have been hearing is the dilution theory, that you can dilute the cleaner down 6:1 with water and then it can be used on leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo123
    The ph scale goes from 1-14 with the low end being acid and the high end alkaline. Obviously 7 would be neutral.
    As usual, I`m in over my head, but if 7 is a neutral PH, how much better could you want since it is neither acidic or alkaline?

The ph of 4.5 seems to be towards the acidic end of the scale and I wouldn`t think acidic would be the best thing for leather.

Now, a couple of things.
    1. Not trying to start an argument about something I know nothing about.
    2. Whatever/whoever you choose to believe is perfectly fine with me.

Sometime back I posted some information I received from Leatherique, (A fairly repected name in leather care), and the information was almost considered to be totally incorrect. Hey, I have no idea, I just know what works for me. 64 months 48,000 miles on GM leather in the Wife`s GTP and still like new makes me hesitant to change anything.

Interesting discussion and nothing personal intended in any of my posts.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Logically the pH argument makes sense, you don`t always want to have a neutral pH product, you want to match the acidity to the surface you are woking with, otherwise you`ll dilute the suface and change it`s chemical charachteristics. If you saturate something of pH 4.5 (leather in this case) with something of pH 7 (woolite water mix) then the effective pH of the surface at the end of all of it is somewhat higher than 4.5. If you increase the acidity of something you will make it more resistant to deterioration because bacteria don`t live as long in acidic environments, on the other hand the less acidic environment will harbor more bacterial growth and activity, this leads to a lower life expectancy of the leather. You`d have to be a chemist to get into much more detail about how this all works but I hope this adds to the clarity of the above statements more.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubafeak
    Logically the pH argument makes sense, you don`t always want to have a neutral pH product, you want to match the acidity to the surface you are woking with, otherwise you`ll dilute the suface and change it`s chemical charachteristics. If you saturate something of pH 4.5 (leather in this case) with something of pH 7 (woolite water mix) then the effective pH of the surface at the end of all of it is somewhat higher than 4.5. If you increase the acidity of something you will make it more resistant to deterioration because bacteria don`t live as long in acidic environments, on the other hand the less acidic environment will harbor more bacterial growth and activity, this leads to a lower life expectancy of the leather. You`d have to be a chemist to get into much more detail about how this all works but I hope this adds to the clarity of the above statements more.
    Yes it does help.
    My head hurts now, but I do know more than I did. I think I even understand some of it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Is it obvious that I had a chem midterm recently?
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubafeak
    Is it obvious that I had a chem midterm recently?
    So, I guess your head probably hurts, too.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information