Post Thanks / Like

Newbie advice...2005 Black Ram 1500

Just bought a new 05 Hemi Ram last week and is in need of a wash. Figured I`d ask you guys for some tips as to start caring for my baby the CORRECT way from the get-go.

I`ve used Meguiar`s Gold Class before (hand applied) with great success, but have never clayed a car before. Should I?

What do you all recommend??

Can any good stuff be purchased at Autozone??

Thanks

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie advice...2005 Black Ram 1500

Welcome! Congrats on the new truck. This is a great site to learn the general parts of detailing. After you read up on those you can ask us specifics or search them here on dc. Your are in the right place to learn proper car care!

You can continue to use meguiars gold class wash if thats what you like. You will want to research the 2 bucket wash method. It is very important. There is information on how to clay in the link above.

There is alot of stuff you can buy at autozone to start you off. Here is a list of stuff that would be a good start. It is pricey however but alot of this car care stuff is.

Clay magic clay kit
    gold class or nxt wash
    color x
    scratch x
    nxt tech wax paste
    meguiars supreme shine microfiber towel(s)
    meguiars water magnet waffle weave towel
    2 buckets
    meguiars wash mitt
    meguiars applicator pads
    simple green all purpose cleaner
    spray bottles
    some kind of dressing.
    terry towels ( not for paint )

Thats just what I could think of off the top of my head. It probably seems overwelming. You will want to clay the car being that it is new. and then you can use scratch x if you have any real problem areas, follow that with color x and then nxt tech wax and you will have a good looking shine. There are more expensive products out there that you can find from our sponsers on the left but I was assuming your shopping at autozone. One last thing. There are tutorials on detailing on some of the sites on the upper left side of the page (sponsers) so you can take advantage of those. You will always find that people will be willing to help you with anything your curious about here at dc. So dont hesitate to ask.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie advice...2005 Black Ram 1500

I have a black 2003 Hemi that I purchased new. It now looks 100% better than when I accepted delivery. Greg has you off to a good start.

I use Meguiar`s products exclusively. I`ve tried others but always end up going back. Meguiar`s consumer line available at Autozone is a good start. When you really get into it, their professional line available on-line or at auto body supply stores can "work magic".

Consider buying a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher. It`s an amazing little machine and it makes owning a black vehicle almost fun.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Thread Information