Post Thanks / Like

Waxing/Clear cote with Megiars Gold

Hello,

I`ve recently been waxing my LS 2003 with Megiars Gold clear coat.
    They say on the directions (and most waxes for that matter) to let the product dry before removing.

My question is this: at what point should I consider it dry?

I`ve tried letting it dry more and less, it seems if I let it dry for about 10 minutes it comes off real easy with 2 handed buffing but doesn`t offer a real fantastic clear look.

Then on the other far hand, I`ve waited for almost 25 minutes before, and then it`s hard to get off but offers a little better look.

Maybe it`s just all that huffing and puffing that makes me think it looks better.

Look forward to everyone`s comments.

-Percy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxing/Clear cote with Megiars Gold

To test you should swipe your finger lightly over the surface of the paint. If the wax easily comes off without streaking then you can remove it with little trouble. The reason it looks better when you wait a long time to buff it off is that since you have to try so hard to remove the wax residue you end up buffing out your car a litle bit. To get the best out of your finish you`ll want to spray each panel down with a QD after you`ve removed the wax and then buff the QD back out. This will bring up a nice deep gloss in your paint and will add a bit of slickness too.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been quite a while since I used Meg`s Gold Class, but I don`t remember it being difficult to remove.
    Maybe you are applying too much wax. If you can see it on the panel, you have enough. More just makes it difficult to remove.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Charles,

I`ve actually already learned the hard way; I`ve been applying a very thin layer.
    Exactly what you said is basically what I`ve learned, maybe not the way I thought about it but none-the-less, "If you can see it on the panel, you have enough".

But remember, based on what I said before, the only time I have a harder time removing the wax is when drying takes place for an extended period of time, like mentioned above "25" minutes.
    I would imagine thin or not thin layer, drying for 25 minutes = a little extra effort, of course this is based upon my little knowledge (heh, I hope I`m right).

Thanks again Charles

Thread Information