Thread: Dawn soap

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn soap

There are many threads out there about Dawn. I am planing to remove old waxes, etc and put new products on the car. I bought Dawn liquid handwash yesterday and wonder if this will work? What other product shall I use to remove old product that were on the car. Thank you.

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dawn soap

You shouldnt use dawn on your car. You can leave the dawn in the kitchen. To remove old wax clay your car and then when you polish the polish will remove all the wax that has built up. You should use a dedicated car wash shampoo like NXT wash for all your washing.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm, Zaino recomend we I wash the car with Dawn first prior to using Zaino. I`ll get NXT. This is so conflicting!

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

The "wash with Dawn" issue will never be resolved as long as there are people who are recommending it.

Perhaps, if this is the 1st detail that you`ve ever done on vehicle "X", you could use Dawn (or equivalent dish washing soap) to remove grease, dirt, and road grim but I would never recommend that Dawn be used on an on-going basis....that`s what car wash shampoo is for.

For product removal, I`d recommend something like AIO, UPC, or a similar cleanser. I`ve read that persistent use of Dawn will allow the detergents to dry-out weather stripping & other rubber components but I cannot confirm that to be true.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with NYV6 the dish soap will dry out the rubber over time....Just look at what it does to a greasey dish in water.....Use car wash soap and clay to remove the old product is what I do.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

opps, thanks beemerboy, forgot to include clay for product removal.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Zaino DOES NOT recommend using Dawn everytime you wash your car. Dawn, if you going to use it, should only me used once, maybe twice a year. Z& should be used, or another car wash, for everyday washing.

Using Dawn as directed and treating your cars trim and door seals with gummifeldge (sp?) when detailing your car (since we are all detailing gods in this forum), your trim and door seals will not dry out over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I`ll wash the car with NXT or similar, wash with Zaino wash, then clay. I have been using other product and Zaino is my first try and Zaino stated that I wash out the old product with Dawn when I call the support tech. Hmmm. Does this sound right?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, I have a convertible too. So I do not want to mess up the job. Not planning on washing the top as it is still clean.....maybe just clean it up with Topp cleanser and use the protectant thereafter. How does this sound?

Post Thanks / Like

The one

Use Ragg Topp cleaner and protectant its about as good that I have ever used
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dternst
    Using Dawn as directed and treating your cars trim and door seals with gummifeldge (sp?) when detailing your car (since we are all detailing gods in this forum), your trim and door seals will not dry out over time.
    I`m pretty sure that the "directed" use of Dawn would be to use the product on your dishes, not your vehicles paint. Like the others said, a good car wash soap and clay will take care of any old waxes and contaminants that are currently on your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dternst
    Dawn, if you going to use it, should only me used once, maybe twice a year.

since i have been here on the forums i have never used dawn on any car that i have done. not even once or twice a year. theres no need to. a clenser or clay will strip everything off anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this will answer the question.
    This is from www.dawn-dish.com
    Ok to wash car?

Question
    Can I wash my car with dishwashing detergent?

Answer
    Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don`t recommend them for cleaning your car.
    This is not my opinion this is from P&G.

I have not found a reason to use dish washing liquid on my car, not with all the fine products that are out there, there are car washes that are ment to strip wax, but I think that after washing, claying, polishing, and swirl removal, there wont be any wax anyway.

HTH
    Good Luck,
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most everyone`s comments on the Dawn wash. Sure you can use it, but there`s a lot better tools for the job. I could drive nails all day with the end of a screwdriver, but they do make a hammer specifically for that job. Just use a regular wash and let your finish prep take care of removing old wax, etc.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Dawn soap

I feel more comfortable now, after reading the thread. Thank you all. I`ll start my weekend with a bang then.

Thread Information