Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up How to Keep Clean my Black Chrome Exhaust Tips?

Hi everyone,.. I`m new to the board. I just bought an `05 Dodge Dakota and installed a Flowmaster 40 Cat-Back System on it. I had 6" Black Chrome Exhaust Tips installed along with the exhaust system.

Man how do you keep these things clean? Mine keep getting Exhaust Black Dirty.
    I tend to jump on the gas probably more than i should. I`ve had it for about 3-4 months now and have about 700+ Miles on it. I dont drive it much. I`ve Waxed my Truck & Tips twice now, I was told that i needed to wax the tip to prevent pitting.

I`ll upload a few pictures of when they were clean if this site allows uploads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Keep Clean my Black Chrome Exhaust Tips?

Anyone have any suggestions please?

Thank you.

Jim.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know much about Black Chrome but if it`s anything like normal chrome I would just use a good chrome polish regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

This post has had 95 looks so it`s not like people haven`t seen it. I believe that it`s the "black" chrome that is stopping people from throwing out their usual helpful response. I know what I would tell you with regular chrome but I don`t have any experience with black chrome and I would hate to tell you something that would damage this special finish.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Is there something special about Black Chrome?

Black was the only color chrome they had in this style of tips.
    I didnt know these would be something special. Is Black Chrome Rare?

I`ll have to take a picture or two and show you whats happening to them from the exhaust coming out.

Hmm,.. now i`m comfused even more,.. Doh.

P.S. GearHead_1 Thats a Sweet Avatar BTW.

Jim.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience all exhaust tips get exhaust residue on them and need to be maintained properly to stay new looking. For chrome tips I use chrome polish. For stainless steel and aluminum I use any good metal polish. The tips get washed every time I wash the car and then polished on a regular basis. You will still get exhaust residue but it will be easier to clean off if you keep on top of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to Keep Clean my Black Chrome Exhaust Tips?

I was doing some research on this and found this site http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/hotchrome.html it`s Chrome Polish for Hot Environments and was wondering if something like this would work better since it`s for Hot Applications?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    In my experience all exhaust tips get exhaust residue on them and need to be maintained properly to stay new looking. For chrome tips I use chrome polish. For stainless steel and aluminum I use any good metal polish. The tips get washed every time I wash the car and then polished on a regular basis. You will still get exhaust residue but it will be easier to clean off if you keep on top of it.
    Thank you for your help.

Jim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineAutorama
    I was doing some research on this and found this site http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/hotchrome.html it`s Chrome Polish for Hot Environments and was wondering if something like this would work better since it`s for Hot Applications?

Thank you for your help.

Jim.
    I have never used that metal polish so I can`t comment on it. Before I can recommend a specific polish I would need to know more about black chrome. I don`t know much about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    I think that gear_head is right, the black is making it harder. What does the manufacturer recomend for cleaning?

Also if you scroll all the way down there are similar threads regarding cleaning "regular chrome" you could check to see if any of those would be helpfull. I would avoid using any steelwool that is sometimes recomended

You could checkout Autogeek`s Motorcycle chrome that may hold some answers.

Good luck
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

I use Poorboys wheel sealent on my chrome exhaust tips. It seems to work very well. The tips don`t really get "that hot" but I figure being that they do get some heat.. I only recently tried this so I don`t know the long term results!

Can you post more pics of your tips though ...I have never seen black chrome .. and having a black car something tells me it would look very cool on my Mustang!
    There is only one boss.THE CUSTOMER! And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down,simply by spending his money somewhere else!

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jimorama!

Have you contacted Flowmaster to see what they recommend? Maybe a good mild APC would work and then a sealant like Focusedonsound recommended would be a good idea. I am going to polish the chrome tip of my wifes cars exhaust and see how that works as it too gets black on the inside of the tip.

Good luck!

Paul
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Thread Information