Post Thanks / Like

Starting A New Shop???

Hello all. I am glad to find this forum. I use to manage a detail and accessory shop for about 3 years, which was about 5 years ago. Since then I have graduated from college and been working in the hospitality industry as a sales manager for the last 3 years. I really want to get back into the detailing business and start my own shop. Here are my concerns and please offer your advise.

I am hesitant about quitting my job and trying to make it full time. I could start doing it on the side, but with my current job, I don`t have a lot of free time. What have you shop owners done to begin your business and survive the begining times? What did you do to get your customers in the door?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason,

What part of Michigan are you in? I know the Detroit are is lacking in quality detail shops and there are surprisingly few mobile guys. It always seemed strange to me giving that the area produces so many cars and other related auto supply industries.

There are tons of "dirty towel" $2 car wash shops in the Westland, Dearborn Heights, Romulus, Taylor, etc. But if you want a professional detail, good luck. I think a truly professional detail shop or maybe a mobile service could be very successful.

I`m in the same boat as you are in, I would love to get out of my current industry (airline) but am hesitant. I do some part-time detailing on the side, but I sure would love to have my own shop with all my equipment set up.

I hope it all works for you. Let us know.

Matt

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jason,
    I think you have a good idea to start out part time. You need to build a client base or you will starve.
    Here`s what I did to start my mobile service:
    Buy everythin you need while you have your regular job, that means you can pay for it.
    Save up some cash to help cover you when you are slow.
    Start doing nights and weekends to build your client base.
    When you feel like you are on your way, just walk in to your bosses office and ask him if he would like his car detailed, but besides that, you will not be working for him any longer.
    Another thing - A working wife is a good thing too!
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, get a good client base first. We are working on getting the word out and getting regulars so that we can eventually have a shop. Honestly, if we would try and get a shop now we would be starving in no time. As of right now we are working out of my garage and that is fine for us for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    JASON
    What everyone has advised you are good ideas. But couple of thing you need to know The market know your competion start up cost and plan of attack

If I was you I would work for a detail shop part time [1 or 2 a week] that will answer one of your business question always you want to be a step above the competion and practice NEVER DO NOTHING FOR FREE contact me newagain@ec.rr.com

Post Thanks / Like
    jason i have the same idea as everyone here. i am working out of my garage. the first thing i did was get a product supplier. i buy by the gallon and the guy drops the stuff off at my house every monday . second im buying the best equipment . i just bought a extractor $1,300. but worth every penny and im paying it off now. im getting some training from the company i get my products from . im going to buffer training this week. and at first i got some $50.00 buisness cards and they looked like it so i went to a real print shop and worked with a graphic designer and made some awesome cards and broucheres $340.00 and they look killer. worth every penny . im not taking any shortcuts and people see im serious about my biz. and they take me seriously . i also brainwash myself on this website so all i think about all the time is DETAILING.
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also add that you actually sit down a do a business plan. Check out a book from your local library. The business plan will also help uncover areas you haven`t thought about plus is an excellent way to make sure you are on track. It will be some work but if you are serious, it time well spent. Not to mention if you need funding a finacial institution will most likely want you have one prepared before loaning you any money they want a solid business plan.
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price.

Thread Information