Post Thanks / Like

help on porter cable 7334?

I have an opportunity to pick a porter cable 7334 with a 5" plate and i guess with the matched counterweight. My question is.. Would this size be sufficient or be the correct fitment for most of the pad products that are available? If not would I need to get some kind of conversion kit, I`ve seen one on the porter cable website that coverts the 5" to 6".

Thanks in advance!!

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest buying the 6" velcro backing plate and matching counterweight, which will enable you to use any of the pads that are available for the PC.

I got my PC and conversion kit at Coastal Tool.com, and at the time, they had a special kit price of $119 for the whole deal. You can`t beat it if they are still offering that special...

"The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Post Thanks / Like
    I know most of you use 6" backplates, but the Megs pads are made for use with the 5" backplate so as not to overlap the velcro area. If someone`s giving you the PC with the 5" plate, I would definitely take it. You can always change it later for a few bucks, but I really can`t see why you would want to if you`re going to use the 6.5" pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys, I ended up buying the 7334 for $35.00 (used, but in very good condition, I think it was used a couple times) which I think is a pretty good deal. Now all i need to do is get set up with some pads and maybe a conversion kit (if i need it).

Should I also pick up the foam backing accessory that comes with the 7424, the white part shown in the picture below?

Post Thanks / Like
    No- don`t use the PC buffing pads. Pick up a velcro backing plate at premiumautocare.com and some foam pads. I personally like the Meguiers yellow foam polishing pads as a general working pad. They are fairly soft and good for applying polishes, swirl removers and one-step waxes and they won`t cut enough for you to do any damage when you`re starting out. I would pick up a minimum of 2 of these so you won`t have to stop and wash a pad in mid-detail. There`s a ton of info on this board about using the PC and you should be able to get a good handle on it right here.
    Check out this link:
    Using the PC

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy the pads at Griot`s Garage. They have a life time guarantee on all thier products plus the pads are the best I`ve used...and I`ve tried them all. www.griotsgarage.com
    Rain blows!!

Thread Information