Post Thanks / Like

hand and buffer basics

Could someone list out the type of products that can be applied by a buffer, such as the PC everyone talks about and the products that should only be applied by hand? I`m a tad bit confused on this issue.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Boss_429
    Well, generally speaking (remember I said generally), you can break it down something like this:

Heavy cuts and levelers like Meguiar`s Medium Cut, and Heavy Cut are best applied using a rotary. Don`t try these by hand.

Light to moderate cleaners and polishes like Meguiar`s #9, and DACP, can be applied with a PC (and the correct pad). Some can be applied by hand, but it`s a bear of a job!

Just about any wax or sealant can be applied with the PC, but it`s pretty much only for speed of application.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boss. Looks the PC is an indespensible item. I had one of those large car buffers once and didn`t like it. It was only good for the hood of my `87 IROC. Everywhere else had to be done by hand.

I`m kind of nervous about taking a PC to my truck. I have had vehicles ruined at the dealer by their contracted "detailers." I`m all for making my detailing more expedient and efficient, but not at the expense of possible damage to the finish. How easy would it be for a new user to screw up the finish? I would clay by hand and then move on to light polish and my new set of UPP products (cleaner, UPP, QD). My truck is Light Pewter, swirls are not really visible (I don`t notice any) and I don`t plan on using any heavy cleaners, polishes or compounds (at least not any time soon).
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Boss_429
    rtbrick,

Well, I think you have a pretty good plan there, and, I would go with an SMR/light polish (like #9) prior to the UPC, and UPP. With your light pewter color it is hard to see swirls, but they are probably there, unless you`ve polished recently.

As for the PC, it`s almost (I did say almost) impossible to do any damage to the finish. Here`s a link that may help you out with the PC:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to love the PC and in no way can you do any damage. Use any product that you would use by hand -- either a polish followed by wax or sealant or a good one step cleaner wax. It makes the job fast and easy. I apply the product with one of the foam pads and I remove it with a bonnet on the wool pad. I followup with a through hand buff (terry cloth or microfiber towels). So far I have used my PC with Meguiar`s products -- Cleaner wax, #9 Swirl Remover, DACP and Premium Paint Protection. It works great with all of them. Make sure you avoid hitting any black plastic trim. The wax is a b---h to get off. You might want to mask the trim.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Thread Information