Post Thanks / Like

Is it safe to wax/seal without claying/cleaning/polishing first?

First of all, thanks for stopping in and helping a pathetic n00b.

I`ve read that waxes and sealants trap contaminants in and make them part of the finish, but I don`t know if that`s true. So my question is: Is it safe to wax/seal after just washing (not using claybar, paint cleaner, and polish first)?

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it safe to wax/seal without claying/cleaning/polishing first?

DOnt call youself a pathetic noobie. WE have all started out not knowing much but you will pick it up quick. It is in my opinion safe to use a sealent and wax without clay and polish but it wont near as good as it woudl if you would have preped. I member on DC one said prep is the key to everything (aka a good shine). I would reccomend clayign and polishing prior to your sealent and or wax but its not going to ruin your paint or cause damage by not doign it.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help! It`s unbelievable how nice and helpful people on this website and others like it are. I was expecting "stupid newbie" replies everywhere I went, but I`ve found genuinely nice and helpful -- and extremely knowledgable -- people everywhere I`ve gone.

My confusion was because here`s how I understand it:

- Wash at least once a week, twice is better.
    - Detail 3-4 times per year
    - Wax or sealant lasts 1-2 months

So if my wax only lasts 1-2 months, and I should do the whole process before I wax, that means doing the whole detailing process 6-12 times per year.

Or, if I only detail every 3 or 4 months, but my wax only lasts 1-2 months, that means that I`m driving around unprotected half the time.

What I`m thinking of doing is detailing more often (maybe once every 2 months) and waxing only after I do the whole process, but going with Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner because that`s chemical and not abrasive so I don`t have to worry about wearing down my paint.

Maybe I`ll detail every 2 months with this process:
    Wash
    Clay
    Wash again
    Meg`s Deep Crys. Paint Cleaner
    Meg`s Pure Polish (maybe New Car or Show Car Glaze, I haven`t decided yet; I`ll go with a Cleaner/Polish instead of a Pure if my paint looks bad)
    Wax or Sealant

That way, I can minimize the time I go without wax/seal protection, but I detail 6 times a year so I don`t get carried away and over-detail.

Does that sound like a decent plan?

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I will just share what i do.

Wash - usually weekly. Try to follow that religously
    Wax - once every 2-3 weeks.
    Polish or Full detail - When swirls or defects occur or i get bored haha.

I would reccomend doing a full detail when needed and you can wax after that whenever you really want. You dont wanna get carried away with the wax though.

HTH

Greg

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

There`s lots of ways to keep your car in decent shape most of the time.

My way:

Wash: Whenever it`s dirty. Bucket wash with Meg`s Gold Class or Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe, whichever I feel like using that day. Usually followed by 4 Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer quick detailer.

Twice a year: A full detail. This would include swirl removal, paint cleaner/polish, and sealant in my case. SSR2, AIO, UPP.

Every 3 to 4 months: Paint cleaner/polish and sealant. AIO, UPP.

Every 30 to 45 days: Sealant only. UPP.

Swirl remover has been Meg`s #9 until recently. I have been experimenting with Meg`s #80 and Poorboy`s SSR2 recently. SSR2 seems to be my choice at this time.
    Paint cleaner/polish is Klasse AIO.
    Sealant is 4 Star UPP.
    Car wash soap is Meguiar`s Gold Class.

Charles

Boss_429

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike
    First of all, thanks for stopping in and helping a pathetic n00b.

I`ve read that waxes and sealants trap contaminants in and make them part of the finish, but I don`t know if that`s true. So my question is: Is it safe to wax/seal after just washing (not using claybar, paint cleaner, and polish first)?
    After you have washed and dried you vehicle, do the following:

Very lightly run you fingers over several areas of the paint... if it feels rough, you probably need to clay and clean the paint.

If you see swirls... you need to use a swirl remover.

Take a tiny amount of some cleaner wax and put it on a light colored towel. Work a small area with the cleaner wax, and wipe off with the towel. If you see "crap" on the towel... the paint should be cleaned.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn`t mention which wax you were using. If you were to use a cleaner wax once a month, between details, you could put off the multi-step a little longer. They polish a little and protect a little, so you won`t have as much build up when you do your full detail.
    This is for a daily driver, of course, and you won`t have it looking showroom new all the time this way, but if you don`t have the time for multi steps, a 1 step can help keep things looking good.
    QD`s can help keep things looking fresh even longer.
    Washing, may or may not degrade your wax a bit faster, depending on the type of shampoo you use. If it`s harsh, or possibly you wash it at a "touchless" carwash, the chemicals may break down the wax faster. As to when things should be done, it`s best to do them "as they are needed" rather than on a certain date regardless of paint condition.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Thread Information