Thread: Rust stain

Post Thanks / Like

Rust stain

What do you use to clean/remove rust stain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust stain

Hey,
    On what type of surface are you trying to remove the rust stains? Exterior or Interior?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lip hat I will call the skirt since I don`t actually know what part of the car they calll it, located under the car by the frame. My wifes car if you step away about 10 ft you can see the discoloration located under the car by the doors. It`s actually painted, just like you would see in the trunk or hood lid. I don`t see the rust bubbling through, nor is it pitted just an eye sore of discoloration.

Exterior

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used a polishing compound by turtle wax that was good but hard work/ but i would suggest that you go get some magic erasers from mr clean they did the job for me :jump

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

would you describe it as faded paint? If so then that might be oxidation. YOu will need some polish in that case. I wouldnt go out and buy the heaviest compound you can find to clear it up. start with the least abrasive product first. If it is acutally rust then i dont really know what to do.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

In the Navy we have a product called rust stain remover, I don`t think I would want to use it on a car though. It is basically an acid that gets mixed with the water when we wash the ship`s side. The ship is painted with marine enamel that doesn`t get a proper curing. So if you can find some of this stuff you might be able to try a little bit in an inconspicuous area. We follow the directions on the bottle for dilution, and it takes the rust stains away in a couple passes.
    If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, .... is he still wrong?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cliff notes version-

The cause
    Particles produced from the friction of brake pads rubbing against the rotor, rail wheel friction on tracks or the metal scoop of a snow plough. This metal on metal friction disperses tiny particles of statically charged black dust, which adheres to the wheel and other vehicle surfaces. Sequestered brake dust, if left for any length of time will cause galvanic corrosion, which etches the paint surface allowing contaminants like acid rain, ozone, sulphuric acid, dioxide and nitric acids to penetrate the paint film surface.(See Industrial Pollution)

Once the clear coat is compromised UV radiation will further degrade the paint by causing oxidation.
    The metallic brake dust acts as a conduit for industrial contaminants to permeate the paint film surface, that over time can cause permanent etching which, take the contaminants harmful effects (corrosion) right to the base of the paint system and down to the vehicles sheet metal.

Neutralizing -
    Washing the paint film surface with a slightly alkaline car wash concentrate and thoroughly rinsing will neutralize the contaminants and remove them from the paints surface Detailer`s clay removes imbedded brake dust and other contaminants by encapsulation, thereby eliminating the primary cause

Treatment-
    By applying a suitable cleaner (Por-15® Products Marine Clean) and then a rust inhibitor (POR-15® Products) it will arrest corrosion on contact without leaving a sticky residue that would attract dirt, dust or grime. Corrosion attacks metal by an electro¬chemical (galvanic) reaction with water as the catalyst.
    JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information