Post Thanks / Like

starting business in nj and getting business cards(need legal advice)

I`ve been detailing for friends, family and neighbors for the past two years. This is maybe a 2-3 time thing a week, but this summer I want to start doing this as a full time job. First thing i`ve decided to do is to design and order some business cards. However, I`m only 17, and i live in NJ. What are the laws pertaining to starting my own business? Where do i register it and is it actually necessary? I just dont want to put "EDISON DETAILING" (edison is the town i reside in) and then have the FEDs knocking at my door because I did something illegal.

What are the other legal issues that come along with starting this business? I havnt considered this much ealier because most of my business was through word of mouth. But now that i`ll be distributing cards, i think everything needs to be legit to avoid trouble..etc. What is your input? thanks guys!

Paul

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: starting business in nj and getting business cards(need legal advice)

to start just the basics...

business license
    EPA regs/if mobile runoff collection
    insurance
    location/zoning
    contact phone
    business entity/IRS filing
    sales tax/ estimated income tax (accountant will help)...

Check out overnightprints.com for card deals.

Hope this is what you`re looking for. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Who do i contact for a business license? Do i need to be 18? Are most detailers here all registered...etc?. I`m still lost as to what paper work i have to go through and where to fill these things out...

Post Thanks / Like

Chamber of Commerce, In State business registration, Small Business ADministration, etc. Look around your area for government/regional offices and they will point you around.

Post Thanks / Like

If you`ve got a huge operation going on you`ll want to go through all of the formalities. If you`re just doing it like a kid`s job (one who really knows what they`re doing) then there shouldn`t be any federal run-ins. It`s not like EPA officials or business ethics watchdogs are following you everywhere you go, a small detailing operation by a kid who`s in high school will be praised as entrepreneurship, provided you don`t flagrantly break any laws pertaining to it. When you start ordering a trailer specifically for your supplies or open a permanent location is when you run into legal responsibilities. I do a few details a month for people who I, or my parents, know. When you drive past it just looks like I`m washing my car, no one`s going to arrest me for that, they won`t give it a second thought. It`s good that you are cautious, but the authorities aren`t out to bust a kid with some motivation, they`re on the lookout for con artists.

One thing to remember is that you`ll want to give your business cards out in person so as to engage the prospective client and pique their interest. This will also help you to avoid any possible legal trouble from people who have nothing better to do than report you, if they might be interested than give them your card.

As for where to get cards, www.vistaprint.com has great deals on high quality business cards. They send you a lot of e-mails, but if you replenish cards often you`ll save money with the discounts in the messages.

Good Luck with your business.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Not everyone will agree with this,but.....

A conversation with your family attorney might be well worth the time and money spent. There`s a good chance he/she won`t even charge you for a quick consultation. Being underage, your parents will probably be liable for any trouble you get into.
    From experience, it is usually better to talk to your attorney before you do something rather than wait until you have to talk to them.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the helpful replies, Woob, tubafeak, and charlesw.

My goals are 4-5 full details per week. I will either give the customer the option of bringing there car to my house, or going over to theirs provided that they will supply me with water and electricity. I will also be doing my weekly car washes to maintain customer cars....I was planning on handing out cards in person, and also leaving cards for a few tuner shops and popular hang out spots in town. I really need people who are in the same situation as i am in, who detail 4-5 cars week, and how they went about this. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey paul, I`am in the exact same situation as you right now...I am 17 and starting a mobile detailing business in upstate NY...Your local town clerk would be the place to contact about the business license....There doesnt seem to be much paperwork...I might suggest going to a bank and getting a checking account....Being how your underage they might give u a hassle but less likely as long as you have your business license and one of your parents with you...Insurance has been my biggest problem, finding someone to insure a 17 year old kid is not very easy, if anyone has any tips on that id love to hear them but for now i have an insurance agency searching for someone to insure me... hope some of what i wrote was usefull and if not meh :jump

Post Thanks / Like

same situation, 17, detailing. I`ll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe we can help each other out

Thread Information