Post Thanks / Like

Need help deciding

First let me start with saying hi to everybody since it`s my first post here.

I am looking into more serious detailing and I can`t decide if I should get a pc or a rotary. Since money is not the issue I need some feedback on the result that can be achived with both tools. I know a pc is safer to work with but what about if the car is in really bad shape. Will a pc do the job as good as a rotary. I haven`t used a rotary yet but I think I can get good at using it real quick.

Also if you guys can help me out choosing the right machine. Currently I have my eye on the Dewalt DW849. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
    Tom B.
    1996 BMW 328is white on black.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help deciding

A rotary will do the work much more efficiently, will remove defects that a PC cannot. It is more dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced user (like me).

A PC, on the other hand, is very user friendly, will remove defects that you cannot remove by hand (efficiently), has a small learning curve. I believe someone on here even has their young child learning to use the PC.

A PC will take longer and may not be able to remove all defects. Some folks say that it is the only tool for serious defect removal. My advice would be to start out small if you`re just now getting into it. Take baby steps - you don`t learn how to walk in a day or two, so you`re not going to learn how to be a proficient detailer overnight. It is something that takes patience and practice.

Read up a little here and see what people have to say about both machines and the methods they use with each. Also, keep in mind that there is another tool available called the cyclo. Some people classify it inbetween the PC and the rotary. It might be something you want to check out.

And by the way, :welcome to DC.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Having been in your position I would offer the following...

If money is not a problem I would by both. Get pads that work on both. A rotary will not be needed for every job. It is also much harder to operate with a steep learning curve. But on the other hand it is the one to go to when there are serious defects to correct.

The pc is easy and does a terrific job. Once the defects are corrected the pc will help you maintain your car quickly and easily.

Take your time and use common sense.

Also, must mention that when I say it will be quick I am talking about correcting a specific area. The whole detail will still take you hours and hours. The results will be stunning but the work still remains.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DC 328is!

Here`s my take on the situation. I have 3 machines: PC,
    Makita d/a (similar to the DeWalt you`re thinking about getting),
    and a Makita Rotary. Each one has their own learning curve,
    with the PC having the smallest and the Makita rotary
    having the biggest. They all get used, and
    more often than not, I can say that I am pretty satisfied
    with the results, but i know I can do better once my skills
    improve. That said, if I had to do it all over again, and if
    I had only one machine to choose, it would be a Cyclo.

Why?

Well after having had the chance to use one for the first time
    (loaner), I can say it felt very clumsy in my hands. But I was able
    accomplish more with that one machine, than if I did the work
    with a rotary, followed by the PC. This of course is not to say
    that a Cyclo will be better than a rotary. BUt as already mentioned
    by some more experienced detailers, it comes very close to a
    rotary, while providing a near swirl free finish like a PC or my
    Mak d/a.

Once I get my finances straight, My next purchase is going to
    be to get one, keep my rotary, and sell my Mak d/a and my PC.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PC and the DW849. YOUR situation depends on your needs. Are you doing mostly your car and occasionally anothers? Or are you going to venture into the business a little more?

The PC is great for light polishing and applying LSPs. But, if you are going to detail a fair amount of cars, then the rotary will cut your time significantly, which is one of every business man`s objectives- to work smarter, not harder.

Sometimes you`ll need just the PC, sometimes the rotary is needed. It all DEPENDS.

You WILL have to practice using the rotary before trying it on a customer`s car. I practiced on my old hood first, and it still wasn`t enough. I learned the HARD way. I bought the 849 to do some compounding after wetsanding, and burned the paint in a couple of spots.

Just to add, the Dewalt has low settings that would be tough to burn paint with, but it WILL happen if you`re not careful.

My suggestion is start with the PC, but if I only had ONE I`d go with the rotary. If you do decide to get the rotary, I suggest watching a video like Meguiar`s, and reading up on it a lot. There is no substitute for education...
    The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.
    -Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892)

Thread Information