Post Thanks / Like

What to use on Jeep top?

Any suggestions to use on a Jeep Wrangler soft-top. Clean/protect.

Thanks,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to use on Jeep top?

No one has any suggestions or tips? Hard to believe with all the detailing nuts we have here.

Brian

2005 Chev Cavalier, Black
    Post Thanks / Like

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Aloha runnerbl, you`re right a posted question usually gets quick responses. Maybe everybodies out detailing ? lol. There`s alot of products out there for tops but i guess the first thing to decide is if you want water based or silicone / petroleum based products. There`s pros and cons for both.

Water based , Doesn`t attract dust and dirt, no oily look , and wont kill your soap suds and ruin wash mitt when washing the top. The cons would be that you`ll have to reapply weekly or after a rain .

Silicone based, long lasting , shiny look, fast and easy to use. The cons are that it can attract the dust and dirt and all th eopposite of the mentioned above water based pros. After applying a silicone based dressing you`ll need to buff off the excess after the initial application sets to avoid streaking or run off.

So for you if you like to wash and detail your jeep every week , go for a WB prod. like PB`s NL for a like new look or PB`s BnB for a dark dressed look.

If you want to only mess with your top once a month or more get some Vinylex or similiar . I`ve used Vinylex on customers tops with great results. and its not too greasy and gives a good shine.

Hope this helps you ,

Jon
    AM Mobile Detailers
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

Post Thanks / Like

Some good advice from the 303 site .

Simple Cleaning
    Keeping vinyl clean is an important part of routine maintenance. Dirt acts as an abrasive and can also wear out the thread in seams. Mildew grows on damp, dirty vinyl.

The recommended vinyl cleaning method:

1. Rinse with cool water.
    2. Wash with soap (not detergent) and water using a soft cloth or sponge. For stubborn dirt, a soft bristle brush may be used.
    3. Rinse thoroughly with water and allow to dry.
    4. Avoid harsh cleaners, abrasives, petroleum distillates and alcohols.

Protecting Vinyl
    Using the wrong vinyl "protectant" product is worse than using no vinyl treatment product at all! Avoid vinyl treatment products that contain any type of oil, have an oily or greasy feeling, contain petroleum distillates or leave a coating that dries like wax. If a product label says "flammable or contains petroleum distillates", do not use on vinyl.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like

I try to avoid dressing tops as much as I can. If I do dress it, I`ll knock down the shine and dressing. Washing it again with plain water or wiping it down with a wet rag will do the trick. You can also cut the water based dressing down. What I shoot for is an even, no or low gloss look. I`m sure there are products out there that won`t run if it rains. I`ve yet to find one though. Especially with my elderly customers, I pretty much take most the dressing off or put so little that if it rains it won`t change appearance or worse affect window visibility. Last thing I want is a customer driving and can`t see out the windows in the rain.

Thread Information