Post Thanks / Like

Lexus Clear Coat Question...

I was told on here that Lexus does not use clear coat on their non-metallic paints. So would it be harmful if i used a PC on a black Lexus?!? My understanding is that the PC will orund out the edges on the swirl marks and scratches in the clear coat, but if there is no clear coat...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lexus Clear Coat Question...

Its the same principle - at least that`s the way I understand it. From what I hve heard Toyota (Lexus) uses "single stage" on a few colors in ther lineup. I can`t get this confirmed through the dealership I am familiar with however.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, lexus paint isnt cleared on certain paints. using aio on a light blue paint, the blue started transfering. but in the end the paint looked just fine. the paint transferred over to a pad on single stage paint is probably the same amount u would take out on a clear coated paint job. go ahead. only thing i noticed was that the pad was getting gummed up quicker. any reason to that?

2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn`t someone use clear-coat? Are they doing extra layers of regular colored paint, figuring if they`re gonna lay extra layers, they may as well all be colored and not clear?

Or are these cars getting only 1 coat of paint, nothing else, not a 2nd or 3rd of color, not a 2nd of clear coat?
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

I read a couple of weeks ago that the lexus black is single stage.
    1991 NSX Blk/Blk
    2005 Civic Si
    2003 Xterra SC < Sold!
    2006 NBP EXP Honda Element AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HondaMan
    Why wouldn`t someone use clear-coat? Are they doing extra layers of regular colored paint, figuring if they`re gonna lay extra layers, they may as well all be colored and not clear?

Or are these cars getting only 1 coat of paint, nothing else, not a 2nd or 3rd of color, not a 2nd of clear coat?
    Honda - I think it is just the make-up of some paints. Some colors look/work/last better if they are done that way I suppose. I really don`t have a technical answer on this one. :dunno I wish I could get the info from the horse`s mouth on my question, but I have heard "rumor" that Toyota`s white paint (040) is DuPont Imron - which is a "single stage" if I understand correctly. It has no clear coat - it is two parts mixed at the time of spray. Sort of like an epoxy glue would be mixed. With no clear coat, many classify it as "single stage" paint. This is just my theory on the matter. Keep in mind, I can get no solid answers on this.

I think another car with a "single stage" paint is a lot of black Hondas - like the S2000. Maybe someone who knows can chime in on it....it`s sure not me.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to poke around Paintscratch.com. They might have an answer to this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FujiFast
    You might want to poke around Paintscratch.com. They might have an answer to this.
    Pretty nice, but some of the cars I know for sure have a "single stage" paint (no clearcoat) the site says they have a factory clearcoat. :dunno I understand the whole BC/CC vs. single stage concept, but if you buff it and get the car color on your pad, I am almost sure it doesn`t have a clear. I could be wrong. Obviously, I`ll never truly know (at least that`s the way it seems).

Post Thanks / Like

I did my Mom`s black LX470 about two weeks ago. It`s most definitely single stage, and there was quite a bit of transfer, but two passes with SSR2.5 cleared up about 90% of the swirls and marring. I actually had fun with it.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Thread Information