Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpet Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

Question Carpet Cleaning

Hey, New here and badly need advice on carpet cleaning. I have a steam cleaner and a fairly powerfull wet/dry vac yet everytime i clean my carpet i just cant seem to get the little grainy sand particles in the carpet. I dont know what i need to do to get them out. Ive tryed carpet shampoo and other types of foaming carpet cleaners. I dont know if its my technique or what but if somebody could get me a run down of the proper chemicals and way to do it id be very happy = ) I`m getting ready to open up a mobile operation and this is my only set back right now pretty much, Thanks :newbie
    p.s.
    shop vac vs. extractor is there a big difference

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpet Cleaning

Here is a Sticky that is in one of the forums:

http://www.detailcity.com/showthread...arpet+cleaning

In the future, please try the Search button first before posting.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy
    In the future, please try the Search button first before posting.
    Your posting of the link was a good move and while using the search will help people find things, just up and asking a question is OK, too.

Using the search can really be frustrating until you have a better idea on how to phrase your searches. As an example, a search for "carpet cleaning" brings up 10 threads, but none of them were the thread you directed him to.
    Your post was much more helpful than a search would have been.

Charles

XX DeWalt Crossing XX
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 12amp Bissell carpet cleaning machine with the attatchement want for my carpets/seats. I also use a heavy duty wet/dry vac and vac the hell out of it first. Since I live next to a beach, I too have a problem with sand. After I vac the first time, I take some low foaming upholstery cleaner (Blue Coral lo foam) and mist the carpets. I then use a stiff brissell brush and in one direction, lift the embedded dirt out of the carpet. I then vac again and follow up with the extractor machine. I`ve found, of course, that keeping up with the sand is much easier to clean out if you do it on a regular basis. The first few times are really tough! Good luck

Mike

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    As an example, a search for "carpet cleaning" brings up 10 threads, but none of them were the thread you directed him to.
    Charles
    I got 39 results using those same keywords and that thread was in there. It just gets a little annoying to see that the 1st post is something that is discussed at great length very often.

I apologize if I came off a little mean. It was not my intention.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy
    I got 39 results using those same keywords and that thread was in there. It just gets a little annoying to see that the 1st post is something that is discussed at great length very often.

I apologize if I came off a little mean. It was not my intention.
    Yes, 39 threads come up if you use the words carpet and cleaning. And yes, that thread is in there, but so are about 20+ that won`t help him much if any.
    I used the quotes to search for the phrase "carpet cleaning" which returned only 10.
    If you had just posted to "Do a search", I might have considered it to be a little mean, but the fact that you did post the link shows you were really trying to help.
    You get annoyed about the questions, I get frustrated at the suggestions to do a search that take more time and effort than answering the original question.
    My first few attempts at searching resulted in either 329,006 hits or 3.
    It isn`t always as easy as it seems.
    Not trying to get on your case, just want to make sure that people do feel free to ask a question and not get hit with "Do a search". That does happen quite often on some sites and to me seems borderline rude.
    Giving at least some information while still suggesting that they search for more seems more friendly.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Im not incapable of using a forum i run one myself....I know exactly what the search is for and did search several different keywords and didnt find what i was looking for....Thanks you tho

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A professional Extractor (I like my Century 400 Sensei) simply can`t be compared to wet/dry shopvac. The extractor actually INJECTS a hot (210 degree) fluid/shampoo into the carpet, then, on a second pass, with perhaps 3x the suction of a shopvac, pulls the moisture out. Much of the cleaning actually occurs during the heated injection, which, of course, does not happen at all with the shopvac method.

As I`ve said in the past, an extractor will always pull more dirt out of a typical carpet that was cleaned by the shopvac method.

That`s why extactors are expensive. They are efficient, and they work.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I guess I must ask my self then why did I buy a steam cleaner then?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably because you didn`t wanna spend a couple grand hehe. Agitating the carpet can bring up some of the sand. It can be time consuming on some carpets. You can agitate with a crevice tool. Sometimes I`ll put a wash mitt on my free hand and rub the carpet. Whack the carpet a few times with your hand or vacuum tool and much will bounce up. Also when you vacuum the sand will just seem to keep coming no matter how much suction you have. You`ll have to put in the time or get up as much as you can and then vacuum the carpet with the vacuum tool slightly off the carpet (your hand can be a good spacer). That will usually suck up what you can see without bouncing more up. You can also vacuum like that after you have extracted.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For the sand, Get a rubber mallet... just let it fall a few times, vac, repeat. works.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice :beer beers for both of you

Post Thanks / Like

Rubber mallet made me think of something. I have one of those pet hair lint brushes that are made out of rubber. Bet one of those would loosen things up without messing up the pile.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can, I like to use compressed air for sand. I worked in a body shope for a number of years and we did sandblasting all the time. You think you have it bad! have a co-worker play a prnak and dump some sand in the drivers seat! I found compressed air in one hand and the shop vac in the other to be the best way of getting sand up quickly.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

XX DeWalt Crossing XX
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koop
    If you can, I like to use compressed air for sand. I worked in a body shope for a number of years and we did sandblasting all the time. You think you have it bad! have a co-worker play a prnak and dump some sand in the drivers seat! I found compressed air in one hand and the shop vac in the other to be the best way of getting sand up quickly.
    Darn good idear. One of those turbo blaster tips and about 140 PSI would blow the sand into the next...compartment? I suppose if you started at the center consouel and blew it out the open door, it wouuld work pretty good. I think I`ll be getting out the compressor tomorrow.

I thought the rubber mallet was for beating your head when the sand is still there after an hour of vacuuming!?

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information