Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To mist or not

Post Thanks / Like

To mist or not

I know on certain products you need to lightly mist water or QD on the pad. But doesn`t make sense to do it on whatever you are using. Its practly impossible to load the entire pad with product. If the pad was dry and you bared down on the paint couldn`t it cause swirls or worse?
    2008 Black Sap. Bmw 535i Speed
    2008 Jet Black Bmw X3 3.0 si
    email bimmerclubnc@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To mist or not

IIRC one of the reasons that was given to lightly mist the pad was to help apply the product thinner. Also it will to keep the product towards the surface when just starting instead of absorbing into the pad.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00GREENMACHINE
    I know on certain products you need to lightly mist water or QD on the pad. But doesn`t make sense to do it on whatever you are using. Its practly impossible to load the entire pad with product. If the pad was dry and you bared down on the paint couldn`t it cause swirls or worse?
    While I tend to agree with your logic, I usually follow the product manufacturers instructions. If they say dry pad, I start with a dry pad.
    One thing I have read is that a water dampened pad will cause the pad/product combination to be slightly more aggressive. Not always what you want, but at times it might be of some benefit.:dunno

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I just came back froma a detailing semilar. I learn that if you don`t use water, the pad will catch the paint and it`s hard to buff. Also if you put too much product it will do the same thing.

I still use terry cloth
    Post Thanks / Like

Misting seems to help me use less product when applying, because if the pad is dry I think I have a tendency to use more product to cover the pad so it feels less scratchy on the paint.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought.
    Maybe we could get some of the manufacturers/distributors to give us their recommendations.
    Not only if the pad should be misted, but misted with what.
    We probably won`t get much response from them on a week-end, but the next few days might have some information posted.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I always put some QD on the pad.
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    Alpine CDM-9803/Alpine MRP-F306/Crossfire TEK 35.2/Stock Speakers/JL Audio 10W3D2
    MODS: 31" BFG AT/KO

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Just a thought.
    Maybe we could get some of the manufacturers/distributors to give us their recommendations.
    Not only if the pad should be misted, but misted with what.
    We probably won`t get much response from them on a week-end, but the next few days might have some information posted.

Charles
    for LSP`s (spreading a product) it`s good to mist a pad with water to help spread it thinner and absorb less into the pad....

for polishes (working in a product) I don`t recommend misting a pad...as stated before it will make a product more aggressive and change it`s chemical make-up. Water will make solvents dry up and cause some products not to work well. ie dust...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    for LSP`s (spreading a product) it`s good to mist a pad with water to help spread it thinner and absorb less into the pad....

for polishes (working in a product) I don`t recommend misting a pad...as stated before it will make a product more aggressive and change it`s chemical make-up. Water will make solvents dry up and cause some products not to work well. ie dust...
    Steve: It sounds to me like you would recommend misting the pad with water when using one of your sealants as well as Natty`s.

Your response is just what I was looking for. Your sealant products may be water compatible and obviously, you are the one to know.

UPP is a product that it is recommended to apply with a dry pad and I thought the reason was because it didn`t work too well when it encounters water. I do think that misting the pad with UGE would probably be OK for UPP. Hopefully Dwayne can add his bit in here.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Charles the pad should be damp not wet...water or misting should only be to help prevent the product from saturating the pad and wasting product.
    Yes i like to dampen the pad for EX-P , EX and Natty`s...

Post Thanks / Like

Charles the pad should be damp not wet...water or misting should only be to help prevent the product from saturating the pad and wasting product.
    Yes i like to dampen the pad for EX-P , EX and Natty`s...

what about the ssr lines? I would say yes.
    What about PPP?
    2008 Black Sap. Bmw 535i Speed
    2008 Jet Black Bmw X3 3.0 si
    email bimmerclubnc@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

for polishes (SSR`s)(working in a product) I don`t recommend misting a pad...as stated before it will make a product more aggressive and change it`s chemical make-up. Water will make solvents dry up and cause some products not to work well. ie dust...
    only LSP`s unless a mfg recommends it

Post Thanks / Like

If you don`t mist the pad with water, it`s hard to buff and too much friction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agentm
    If you don`t mist the pad with water, it`s hard to buff and too much friction.
    Maybe it depends on the polish you are using. I have never misted my PC pads when polishing and have never had a problem with the polishes being too dry or hard to buff. Granted, I use mostly Poorboy`s which are very user friendly. I guess it`s all a personal preference, but I tend to follow the manufacturer directions on all of my products.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer
    I guess it`s all a personal preference, but I tend to follow the manufacturer directions on all of my products.
    That pretty well sums up my thoughts.
    If it works for you, that is really what matters.
    By the same token if a product doesn`t perform as advertised, you might want to take a look at how you are using it.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information