Thread: Dusty Car

Post Thanks / Like

Dusty Car

Just curious, besides the famed ORIGINAL CALI DUSTER, what else would you use to get the dust off the hood and back window of your car. Washed my car the other day, then it sat and came out the next day and dust all over the hood. Looks like I went through a dust storm!:eek

I`ve heard some have problems with the Cali Duster, with the wax - so what`s another alternative? I read about the OXO DUSTER - anyone tried that one? What else can I use to quickly sweep that dust off?

Thanks!

Debbie

2005 Chev Cavalier, Black
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dusty Car

QD + MF = Simple

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn`t something like a Cali Duster be quicker though. If my neighbors see me spraying and wiping daily I think they`ll be sure I`ve gone over the deep-end - one has already commented to me more than once "you`re cleaning that car AGAIN?!?" :lol

Just thought with a QD with a MF, it may scratch the surface if, for instance, you have some sand within that dust? Thought that the duster may pick up and lift anything like that, while the MF you need to "rub"?

I have QD and MF, so that would save me from buying something else, but was hoping to find something I could do a fast swipe with "whenever" and not have to break out the bottle and towel.

THANKS

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A very plush mf like pakshak`s 16" x 24" Ultra-Fine Micro Fiber Towel or Adam`s yellow mf towel + qd. I guess it`s down to preference, some may like using the cali duster..there are some posts on it
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

The California Car Duster has been one of my often used products for years.
    At the present time I have 2 of the "Originals", and one of the "Super Dusters".
    One of the originals is probably about 15 years old and even my newest is probably 5 years old. The paraffin that seems to come out of the duster and leave some streaks when it is new seems to be something you can take care of by wrapping it in a newspaper for a while. The newspaper evidently absorbs the excess paraffin. I haven`t tried that method so I don`t know if it works or not.

The OXO duster seems to be receiving some good comments as well, but I really don`t know where it is available.

FWIW, the true original CCD with the wood handle has more yarn in it than the plastic handle ones at the discount stores. That`s probably one reason it costs more. The ones at discount stores do seem to work quite well and for less than $15, you can try one and see what you think. It seems like I have seen them on sale for around $10 occasionally.

Charles

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunshine
    QD + MF = Simple

Exactly what I was thinking. I don`t really care what my neighbors think of me anyways. They always see me washing/cleaning my car and get a good kick out of it. After they see the final result, the chuckles turn into nothing but compliments.

Boss_429

The only "QD" that I use on my vehicle if it is dusty/lightly dirty is Spray & Wipe.......... it`s the only one I trust!

To be honest, if you are going to use a regular QD, you might as well use the CCD, as neither one of them are as safe as S & W.......... at least IMHO.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion.
    As far as QDing, I always used the CCD first because I didn`t want to scrub the dirt into the paint. I still do it that way. CCD then follow that with the QD.

Boss`s comment on using the S&W makes a lot of sense.
    If the S&W works when the car is dirty, (and it does), it sure ought to work when the car is just dusty.
    If you want to get really crazy, do the S&W, then follow that up with your QD. The S&W cleans, the QD adds some pop.

As far as the neighbors, just ignore them. When you sell your car in 1/2 the time and for several dollars more than theirs will bring, you will definitely be the one laughing. The pride you can take in having a nice looking vehicle is also worth a lot.
    I tell people that anyone can have a nice new car. All you have to do is sign the contract. Having a nice old car takes a little effort.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I think I need to print out the acronyms - I keep running to find the pages so I can understand the lingo of the board The QD I have is MEGS, which I guess doesn`t cut it?

The OXO isn`t hard to find, just haven`t found any reviews or opions of it yet - would love to read a side-by-side comparision. With the CCD, I wonder if our heat down here would tend to make it more waxy than when using it in a cooler climate. I did see a microfiber duster - wonder how that differs - doesn`t say anything about wax in it that I found - any ideas?

As for the neighbors - well, I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years - far longer than I plan to be in this house. Seriously, the neighbor is joking:lol They want to see how long this is going to last - he gets a rise out of saying something.

I`ll have to look in to the S&W - seems a lot of people like it.

THANKS GUYS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Adams QD with a microfiber towel it looks like i just washed the car.

Boss_429

Quote Originally Posted by Debelli
    I think I need to print out the acronyms - I keep running to find the pages so I can understand the lingo of the board The QD I have is MEGS, which I guess doesn`t cut it?

THANKS GUYS!!!
    I wouldn`t say the Meguiar`s QD doesn`t "cut it". I just like using a QD for "POP" on a clean paint surface. S & W is my product of choice when there is light dust or dirt on the vehicle........... then a QD with "POP" right afterwards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

The QD I have is MEGS, which I guess doesn`t cut it?
    Meguiar`s makes several quick detail products and all of them I have used do a decent job. Maybe not the best, but not bad. either. FWIW, I have used Meg`s Quik Detailer, Final Inspection and Final Detail. Final Detail has been discontinued. Last Detail may be the replacement, but since I have plenty of QD`s I haven`t bothered to research the Last Detail.
    With the CCD, I wonder if our heat down here would tend to make it more waxy than when using it in a cooler climate.
    Once the CCD is broken in, I doubt that your climate will make much difference. Obviously, using it in the sun or on a vehicle that has been heated by direct sunlight might not be a good idea. We have a few 90 to 100 degree days here and I never noticed a problem.
    I did see a microfiber duster - wonder how that differs - doesn`t say anything about wax in it that I found - any ideas?
    Since it seems to be a dry duster, I probably wouldn`t use it on my paint.
    It really is an amazing product. Give it a try and I think you will become a regular S&W customer.

Charles

Thread Information