Thread: Dealership

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Dealership

I wanna start looking into some work at dealerships, Wondering exaclty what I should say on Application and what else I should do to give more in getting the job, Any Info is much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealership

Quote Originally Posted by LoWang
    I wanna start looking into some work at dealerships, Wondering exaclty what I should say on Application and what else I should do to give more in getting the job, Any Info is much appreciated
    Scratch the heck out of a car on the lot and tell them that is your detail job. If they are like most dealers they should be very impressed an hire you right away.

Kidding of course!

Post Thanks / Like

I was at a Ford dealership the other day.

The 40k SUV they had in the showroom had a buffer burn on it lmao...

I told the salesman, dont have anyone touch my truck, ill take care of it.

That was the first time he heard that, then i quietly showed him what a buffer burn is...

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i think i can chime in. I think you will be able to be hired at a dealership with not a ton of problems. There are many downsides though. Dealers usually dont like to pay more than 10 an hour.. tops.. YOu wont find a dealer that will pay you for the work you put into it. If your looking to find dealer work just know that if you put in 150 dollars worth of work you wont probably get half of that.

Another thing is many dealers dont know Jack Snip about detailing as mentioned about the buffer burn. They dont really see swirls. Im not discouraging working at a dealership. I do some part time work for one myself. It is nice in the summer when i can go in when i dont have customers and get some extra cash. I get 12.50 an hour. I had to BEG for that. I wanted 15 but realisticly it wont happen.

Thats my 2 cents and only my opinon

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

i have worked for a dealer for 10 years in the detail bay. there is always openings in that area, you will find a job easy.as greg said you will not get rich working for one but there is positives. i enjoy my job and get paid even if we are slow. if i owned my own shop, no work no pay. also as greg said their standards are lower than many on this site so if you do quality work and have a good attitude you will have job security. also suggest retail detail packages for the service department to sell. they have little invested but make a fair amount of profit. i got my dealer to pay for my prd training so we
    also do retail pdr and since he invested $3000.00 in me, it adds to job security also. lots of ways to tkae advantage of the situation to advance yourself and have steady income.

Post Thanks / Like

thanx any other info is great

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest thing to take into consideration is you won`t get paid anything. The upside is they don`t know what detailing is. When I first started working for a stealership, I would perfect everything. Then I started to realize that they couldn`t see swirls in paint. So now I just buff with a light polish/glaze (I`ve been using 3m Foam Pad Glaze) followed by a hand glaze. It makes the paint REALLY shiny, but some cobwebs are still there. I`ve got my complete details down to < 3 hrs and being flat rate, it`s about $20/hr and even more for trucks. I`m about to quit and take them on as a wholesale account because there`s so much BS that goes on at that place I can`t stand it. That way I`ll make more and not have to answer to cocky managers. Which is something else to consider before working for a dealership, they`re usually run by the most egotistical people in the world.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Thread Information