Post Thanks / Like

Big trailer to detail tomorrow. Advice!

I have an appointment tomorrow to polish out this guys (30`?) trailer. I did his truck last week. Silly question is, do I treat it as typical CC paint? How many hours should I expect for a clay, polish, seal? Any tips for the roof?!? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big trailer to detail tomorrow. Advice!

Quote Originally Posted by AMDin93103
    I have an appointment tomorrow to polish out this guys (30`?) trailer. I did his truck last week. Silly question is, do I treat it as typical CC paint? How many hours should I expect for a clay, polish, seal? Any tips for the roof?!? Thanks!
    OH man. I have no good advice outside of get some good rest!

Good luck post up some pics! What are you charging for that, it`s ginormous!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would get some help if I were you. That`s a lot of work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AMDin93103

The paint is most likely a single stage no clear coat on there. An its THIN so be very careful what you use on it . That includes your choice of product and pads and machine . I would use a PC and just do a one step on it . Use a ladder to reach the roof but be careful to not step on the roof . Unless they reenforced the roof for viewing from , becareful those aluminum panels are super thin and will bend under a persons weight. Just a guess on time doing it alone and that`s washing with a pressure washer and no clay . 15 hours or more ( i`m thinking more like 22)

After looking at the pic alittle longer , I`ll guess 17 hours start to finish working alone. Having another person that know what to do would help alot in cutting the time in half.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Professional Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

mjrleague,

Looks to be 25-30`. Do you have to polish the diamond plate? Any chassis-blacking? Inside?

How many hours do you think you will need to complete the job? Charging by the foot is commonplace for RV`s, boats, big rigs... May not be a bad idea to approach the owner that way.

Have you seen the condition of the roof? If it`s not caked with bird mess, tar, black streaks... then you should be able to wash/prep/wax the same way as the sides. Going at it with a good soft bristled nylon pole brush during the wash phase is a good idea.

You should not bother with the clay as this is most beneficial on modern day auto paints (rather than fiberglass or gelcoat) to remove embedded particles.

Get some rest,

Mike

Visit your local boat or RV supply store for gelcoat, vinyl.... many carry great products by major auto wax companies that are formulated for this type of job.
    Mike R.
    "Get That Great New Car Feeling"

Post Thanks / Like

HE SOLD IT!! I went this morning and he had gotten rid of it yesterday afternoon to a customer of his. So. . . it`s gone. . . thank god. He did pick up another that I will be doing on Friday. I guess it`s a lot shorter. :dunno I have not seen it yet but will take what you all posted into consideration when I work on it. . . and post some pics if it`s noteworthy. Thanks for the help.
    -Andrew.

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Large trailers like those are a good candidate for #66.

Post Thanks / Like

how is 66 is it really thin???

mine is purple in color and thin.. just wondering?

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not terribly thin like VM, but not as thick as say #83.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a 28 foot horse trailer 2 months ago and I will say it is a ton of work. The roof is the hardest part as they are very wide. you really can`t reach the center of it. I ended up calling the manufacturer of the trailer and they told me I cauld carefully walk on the seams connecting the sheet metal. I would agree that it is VERY thin. If you were to get on top (if you still had to do it), you almost have to get on all fours to spread your weight out. A one step polish/wax would definately be my recommendation. I think people with these large trailers really could use more wax than polish to preserve them in the long run anyway. A by the foot charge is definately the way to go and how i will charge in the future. If anyone knows a good way to extend your reach so as not to have to get on top that would be very helpful. The top is really the only tough and slow going part. Wow I`ve typed way to much. Adious :fuzz

Thread Information