Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Detailing

How exactly is this done properly?

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a very good post about this not too long ago, if you want to search it. I use hot water pressure washer and some degreaser, Then follow with a water based protectant. When I went to a follow up class a couple of moths ago, they were discussing engines and how to keep the whole bay clean. They discussed how car dealers like them done and how a normal cumtomers would want theirs. My understanding is that most engines are water resistant and that pressure washing at low psi is fine. I always wet it first, then let it semi-dry, then spray a degreaser on it, and rinse. I have never had a problem with any of the cars I have did. Remember to do it before you wash the car, and it usally takes about 10 mins to do it.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure the degreaser is bio-degradeable so it won`t dry rot your rubber and front end bushings and cover your electronics with a shower cap...I like them..I get them in motels when traveling and save them for this purpose, they have elastic and are meant to keep water out.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Boss_429
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    I like them..I get them in motels when traveling and save them for this purpose, they have elastic and are meant to keep water out.
    Isn`t that.......................... illegal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have used a few products to clean my mustang engine..(pics on my site and welcome post here on DC)
    I have uised Simple Green: didn`t do much- I had to rub it with a cloth to get some areas clean..It does clean yes..but not on old grimy areas that needed something stronger
    I used some other brands from our Canadian Tire store..Not good either.
    Then someone recommended CD2.
    This stuff worked so well..I actually saw dirt and grime wash off with high pressure hose..just a regular hose gun did it.

I always cover teh alternator which is powedr coate and therefore i can clean it up afterwards..Ansd I also cover teh distributor cap. The rest is open house...wash away..
    BUT before I finish and clean the chrome parts with Wenol or Autosol Polsih for metal/chrome..I use a big powered air blower Shop Vac to blow water out of every nook and cranny I can get into.

Then I wash teh car..And start he engine after about 3 hours..making sure most of the water has dried up or blown away from engine bay.

HTH you out some..
    The gas pedal always listens..
    The brake pedal doesn`t...
    Drive`em safe.

Thread Information