Post Thanks / Like

How do you get bugs off?

Hey guys, I am not a professional detailer or anything like that I am just a dude that likes to keep his vehicle clean. I was cleaning my truck the other day and i got to the headlights and the front of the truck and I couldn`t seem to get the bugs that were stuck to my lights off. I have a bug and tar remover, but I can`t remember what it is called.
    What do you guy`s use to get bugs off? I know you know a lot more that I do.

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you get bugs off?

IS it Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover? You can try spraying that on there and let it sit for a little while (minute) then try to spray off or wipe off. I think that might remove your LSP if you did that (LSP=last step product)(wax sealent). Poorboys has a new bug squash they will have out soon i think. HTH

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

A Safe Scub Sponge . You can use it when washing your vehicle with water and soap or just add water to the sponge. This sponge will not scratch your car and you don`t have to worry about stripping the wax you just applied.
    :hot
    Jason
    Jason@palmbeachmotoring.net
    PBMG

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recommend getting some Poorboy`s Bug Squash.

Read my review of it here.

Call Poorboy Steve for pricing. I think it`s still in a "testing" phase, but he is giving it away with purchases of a certain amount. you may want to call him to get the straight details. VERY GOOD STUFF!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Boss_429

I didn`t even know about this "Bug Squash" stuff? Steve never tells me anything!

That Safe Scrub Sponge looks interesting too.

Often times, I just take some undiluted car wash and apply it to the area with a wash mitt, let it soak for a minute or two, and then wash it off with regular suds.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

In the NorthEast, we`re not dealing with bug guts yet but in the summer I keep a bucket of water in the garage right where I park the car so there`s no excuse not to clean the front of the car.

I clean the bug residue off before it hardens ... everytime ....and the Safe Scrub Sponge looks like an excellent addition to the detailing arsenal.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve tried one of those Bug Block sponges. They actually work fairly well. I found that the best way to use them was as spot treatments for lower front bumpers. I sliced off about a 3/4" section to use like a small sponge, then I let it soak in my bucket of car wash solution until it softened up nicely. After it softens up, just lightly swipe away the bug residue. Used in this manner, I did not observe any scratching. However, I only reserved this treatment for bugs that did not come off with regular washing with a mitt. I also reapplied wax/sealant as a precautionary measure.

I am also anxious to try the new Poorboy`s Bug Squash. I never thought I`d be wishing for some bug residue just to test a new detailing product.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason S&W has worked fine for me . My stuff is alway`s waxed, polished & QD`d though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those bug blocks and like AWD330 I think for bug removal its great. I have not noticed any marring of the finish at all. I cut mine in half only because it was eaier to work with. Then wet the area, use a some bug remover, I buy mine in a quart container from a local detail supplier. Apply bug remover let set for a minute use the block and then wash off with soapy water and rince. It removes 99% real quickly anything that is left I go back over with the block and that seems to do it.
    Living in CA by the coast we do not have the bug problems that some have in other parts of the country so I would hope that this method will work fro you :rockin .
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Mix 1 part water and 1 part SIMPLE GREEN, I spray it on windshield, rear view mirrors and grill. Then I pull out hose and bucket and start to wash the car and the bugs wipe like BUTTER with a soft sponge.

Post Thanks / Like

S&W on fresh bug splatter works well. If it has hardened, I spray it and leave it for about a minute and then wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn`t matter if it`s fresh or old, I just spray it on and it starts to work instantly.

Post Thanks / Like

I apply Spray and Wipe ... let sit for a few minutes and wipe off the bugs with a MF.
    If they are stubborn I use Spray and Wipe and wipe off the bugs with a MF soaked in hot water.
    This method will not remove the wax or sealant like some bug removers and strong cleaners.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Thread Information