Thread: Going legit!

Post Thanks / Like

Going legit!

Hey there everyone. I`m new to the site and I need some help. I`ve been a part time/ weekend detailer for years now doing it out of my garage generally. I have decided to become legal and make it a part time mobile business (eventually full time shop). I have read many books and articles on how to start a small business and have accumulated alot of useful information. What I really need now is the order of steps I need to take for becoming a business, (i.e., licensing, tax #, incorporating or not) I live in the central florida area and any info would be greatly appreciated. I`m looking forward to using the site for future reference and doing my part to contribute whatever I can to help out.

I`ll be around,

pcjazz

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going legit!

GOod Luck on the new venture!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

:welcome & good luck!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

The best places to help you with this venture would be your local SBA (small business administration) also check to see if you have a local chapter of SCORE , both offer workshops in all the different aspects of starting and maintaining a business.

SBA

SCORE

Search on both sites for your local chapters.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

I love silicone !! Hawaiianelement's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

congrats on the new venture. I`ve been doing a mobile business for about a year now as a 2cd job and man did I get burned out quick..I`m not trying to discourage you I`m just saying that I got soo much business so quick . So get out there and knock`em dead. Once people hear about your service you`ll be on your way.

Get some good quality business cards and flyers . Set your services and prices at the market average. If you `ve been detailing in your garage then you have the confidence to charge accordingly.
    04 Honda Element-Mobile Detailing
    02 BMW 325Ci Tit. Slvr. Sprt,Prem.
    05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Red Magma

Post Thanks / Like

What are the benefits of " going legit"? The only thing that I can see would happen after you fill out some government forms and pay some government fees, are that you would have to pay taxes on the money you earned. I do not see how your bottom could be increased at all. Its just that you now have a new business partner except "he" cannot and will not do any work to help you get the cars done but "he" will always expect to get paid from your efforts.

Mobile Auto detailing is the perfect business in my opinion.
    1. 99% of clients are all cash.
    2. No employees
    3. No Boss
    4. very low overhead
    5. every rainy day off

Why muck it all up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL
    What are the benefits of " going legit"? The only thing that I can see would happen after you fill out some government forms and pay some government fees, are that you would have to pay taxes on the money you earned. I do not see how your bottom could be increased at all. Its just that you now have a new business partner except "he" cannot and will not do any work to help you get the cars done but "he" will always expect to get paid from your efforts.

Mobile Auto detailing is the perfect business in my opinion.
    1. 99% of clients are all cash.
    2. No employees
    3. No Boss
    4. very low overhead
    5. every rainy day off

Why muck it all up?

Good point Steve...After being legit for over a year myself I find that iys alot easier to just be under the table ..Not worry about taxes and receipts and all that.

The pros of being legit is more legit annual income which equals more borrowing power ex. (House) and the satisfaction of owning your own business.

Like I said under the table is looking real nice to me right now..

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is currently visiting her mom on North Shore till Friday, I told her keep an eye out for you HawaiianElement LOL.

I am considering doing some paperwork to set the business up as an S Corp. Only for the purpose of protecting my wife and I from fraudulent claims that I wrecked a car or crazy things that someone could dream up in order to try to take our house.
    But I do not think I will ever change what has been working so well. I am against borrowing nowadays so we pay for everything in cash. I have been attempting to unplug myself from the Matrix for quite some time and this business helped solve alot of those issues.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL
    My wife is currently visiting her mom on North Shore till Friday, I told her keep an eye out for you HawaiianElement LOL.

I am considering doing some paperwork to set the business up as an S Corp. Only for the purpose of protecting my wife and I from fraudulent claims that I wrecked a car or crazy things that someone could dream up in order to try to take our house.
    But I do not think I will ever change what has been working so well. I am against borrowing nowadays so we pay for everything in cash. I have been attempting to unplug myself from the Matrix for quite some time and this business helped solve alot of those issues.
    I just got 1M in liability insurance this year for $300. I`m hoping this will protect me from claims. I do not drive cars either so the worst I could possibly do is injure someone I suppose :huh
    Other than the insurance I am not legit so far but I`m just a weekend detailer.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Going legit!

Shammyman here...........as far as "legit" is concerned, I think "owning" your own business is the BEST thing one can do, especially when it comes to mobile auto detailing. I am now in my 10th year on my own and loving it. And I`m 35!! I would suggest one thing though. Insurance. I know here in the state of Florida you don`t need to have insurance when it comes to possible property damage but it`s better to be safe than sorry. I can`t afford to "burn" someone`s paint on a class 7 bmw or sl 65 AMG Mercedes. These vehicles rage between $85,000 - $120,000 "each"!! And that`s just about all I deal in is Hi-line vehicles on a regular basis. Unless you can afford to stroke your client a check for repairs to his hood because you burned his paint or dinged it or scratched it down waaaaaaaaaay past the clear, get insurance!!
    I have built my business over the years to a $1000 to $1500 a week business and don`t have a single employee. It`s all me. And now summertime is almost upon us and that`s my busiest time. :mohawk And I`m "still" learning everyday too. Just remember, all you neubie`s out there.............cover your ass and get insurance when you can. Unless you want to stick to just doing "used" car lots and not being paid what your worth for your time and skill, RETAIL is where the money is. Forget opening a garage or shop. Stay "mobile"!!! Very low overhead that way and your options are not limited as they would be if you were confined to a shop where you have to wait for your customer to show. Take control and GO TO THEM by being MOBILE!!!!!

Later all...............

Post Thanks / Like

hey steve, Glad to here they get to stay on the North Shore..very coooolll!! it beats waikiki any day..I have a couple of clients out there and I enjoy the drive ..Those giuys really beat up their cars though.

Shammyman, Wow dude , you`ve got one hellofa great gig going on. You`ve got my respect for sure. 10 yrs on your own..Right on ,,go get `em.
    Hope you have the best money making summer ever!!

Thread Information