Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like

silly question about dressing tires...

OK, this may seem pretty obvious to most of you, but I can`t decide for myself which is the better choice.

When you dress tires, is it proper to just do the sidewalls? When I just leave the treads alone, the tires look incomplete (maybe I am just not washing the tread well enough?).

Is there any way to safely make the treads look really sharp also? Thanks.

PS - I always dress the wheel wells also, but the tires still look "incomplete" because of the treads.

Thanks,
    Brian
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Post Thanks / Like
    You know I was doing a Corvette yesterday and gave thought to that. When ever I take pics of the cars after the tire threads look dirty or not complete. So I used a spray on tire gloss to get them black looking. I would be intersted in what others are doing for this, or are we being anal. My wife thinks I`m the later of the two
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re talking about detailing the tire tread surface with the same compounds as the sidewalls, there`s a reason those products have warning labels to use on sidewalls only - they reduce friction.

And tire friction is the only thing that keeps your car moving in the direction you want it to go. Or that lets you stop when you want to stop.

If you put tire dressing on the tread surface and then take your car out on wet roads, we`ll probably read about your nomination for the Darwin Awards... Yes, it will wear off eventually, but it`s not a smart idea at all.
    --Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I like the look of a well dressed sidewall and an undressed tread. To me it seems to give the tires more definition and it brings out the appearance of the properly dressed wheel wells
    Ringo

Boss_429
    When we use to do a "Photo Op" for a vehicle, we would clean the treads of the tires with a good all purpose cleaner, and then be very careful not to dress the sidewalls onto the tread. In other words, keep the dressing even all the way around on the sidewall, right to where it meets the tread. The sidewall would still look darker than the tread, but not nearly as noticeable, and the APC didn`t leave any residue on the treads that could be dangerous.

For a regular detailing though, I wouldn`t go through all the trouble.

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, the tires looks kind stupid with the treads not dressed, but you can`t do anything about it. Just use a good rubber cleaner.
    DRESSING TIRE TREAD IS NOT SAFE!!!!
    I would advise lowering the car so you can`t see tread...
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would advise lowering the car so you can`t see tread...
    :p .... Too funny!

Boss: I guess I will try the APC in an attempt just to appease myself at the very least!

help, I'm a rock
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...I actually had a partner who rearended a person in a customer car (as he was delivering it) because he shined the tread. It does look nice but very unsafe and slippery. When I dress the treads (usually for a display car)I use a water based shine and the silicone/solvent based for the outer.
    "Making the streets a cleaner place to see"

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I tried a solution of Simple Green mixed about 10:1 and it worked great... natural black on the treads, nice satin gloss on the sidewalls.

One other thing I wonder if anyone else does - I used a wheel well brush on the wells while washing the vehicle.... is this as common as it may seem, or is there a better method? I mean, there`s nothing wrong with it, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,

It sounds like you`ve reached perfection on the tires. I like the treads nice and clean with a nicely dressed edge around the sidewalls.

As for the wheel wells, I give em a good rinse with the pressure washer while I`m doing the wheels and then I clean them with a brush (and all purpose cleaner sometimes) during the wash.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed you take great pride in the details of your tires, very good. Your choice to dress the tread of the tire seems very unsafe. The only tires that I recommend dressing the treads of are tires mounted to a set of custom wheels for show use only. I would never recommend driving on those wheels, only having them installed on the vehicle at the car show for show purpose only.
    Cleaning the inside of the wheel wells is also a very good idea. Use a long handled medium bristle brush and you should be fine. Don`t forget to dress them to finish off the appearance. Check out www.AutoMagic.com for Super Dress-It 16oz. trial size. This is a water-based dressing allowing you to dilute to achieve the gloss you desire. Have fun and enjoy your hard work.
    It does not matter what kind of vehicles you have detailed, it only matters if the customers keep coming back.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a water-based product, doing the tread should be no problem as long as the product dries to the touch...I have done many a car and even motorcycle tires with no problems at all...i do warn the motorcycle guys after a show to ride slowly through some gravel or dirt by a curb before really taking off...i guess it all depends on your product...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bentley: Yes, I am very meticulous about the wheels, because the wheels and the hood are the first two things they look at. However, I do not dress the treads as of yet (re-read the post). I was asking if there was a safe way to make the treads look sharp. And that`s when Steve comes along with the water based idea....

Steve: The water based thing may be what I am looking for - something without silicones or oils. Maybe I will give that a try on a test tire and see how it works. Thanks.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    my suggestion would also be to wipe on only enough to give the look you want , not to saturate the tire tread by spraying too much...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information