Post Thanks / Like

Beginner to Detailing

I have always been a fan of keeping my cars clean, but after reading some on this site and looking at some pics, I know I can do better. I am looking for reasonably priced products, mostly stuff available at auto stores etc.

I recently bought a Black 2003 Alero with a Grey/Tan interior. It`s winter here right now, so come springtime I want to do a solid cleaning. I have a few questions (for now), so I figure I will lump them into one thread:

1. Carpet Cleaning. I need to remove some typical stains and salt stains. With a brush, hard or soft brissels? what is the best product to clean carpets with (follow up with shopvac)? I plan on using scotch-guard on the carpets once they are clean, to prevent future staining.

2. Dash. My last truck had a plastic dash, easy enough to clean. The Alero has a vinyl dash (a little smushy when you push on it). Any special notes to cleaning this kind of dash? Is Armor All still ok to add shine on the dash?

3. Polish/Wax. I don`t have a PC, but I do have a random orbital buffer. I have noticed some swirls and scratches in my paint and I don`t know if getting rid of these is a project I should tackle myself.

With the wax, I was probably doing it wrong (using the wrong pad or something) but I could never get the buffer to remove the wax properly.

::paitently waiting for spring::

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner to Detailing

welcome to the boards. im sure you will find everyone here very helpful.

1. woolite diluted 6:1, 6 parts water and 1 part woolite, and oxy clean work very well. make sure its the granular oxy clean. here is a great thread on a very good cleaning process http://www.detailcity.com/showthread.php?t=6916

2. if you are wanting to stick with local car part stores, i would suggest meguiars interior shine. i have used that for the last 3 yrs and have been very happy with it.

ill let some of the more experienced detailers tackle the other questions. congrats on the new car and, again, welcome to the boards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy
    3. Polish/Wax. I don`t have a PC, but I do have a random orbital buffer. I have noticed some swirls and scratches in my paint and I don`t know if getting rid of these is a project I should tackle myself.
    Sounds like what you have is the one speed deal you can pick up at Wally World or the like. It won`t be much help removing defects. You could use it to help with the application of waxes and such, but for removal, just get you some good microfiber towels. Swirl removal takes patience with a PC, so if you`re not in it to get a PC and take the time with it, you might wanna find a detailer to do it for you. Otherwise, I`d say you can do it yourself fairly easy with the PC. Good luck!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

For reasonable priced products check out any one of the sponsors of the board here. They all offer top quality products and the 10% off incentive is a really nice gesture.
    As for your questions:
    1. Carpet cleaning: Use a medium/hard bristle brush and scrub with a mixture of APC/Oxy Clean/hot water. Pretreat nasty spots with 303 Upholstery cleaner or EF Spot remover. Extraction with the shop vac would be fine, just make sure the carpets are well vacuumed before scrubbing.
    2. For the Vinyl dash (and maybe seats?) the Woolite/water 5-6:1 will work just fine. Protect them with something like Wolfgang Vinyl & rubber, Adams VRT, Poorboys NL, etc.
    3. As for swirl removal for the price you would pay a professional you could buy a PC, backing plate, and a few pads so you can continue to do the maintainance yourself. Get the 7336 from Lowes and some pads (Lake Country, Edge) in a variety of types (heavy and light cutting and polishing). You`ll also need some SMR like Poorboys SSR line, a light polish (VM or SSR1), maybe a glaze like Adams BSG, and a LSP (carnauba wax or sealant).

Read the tutorials and digest as much info about products as you possibly can and then go ahead and make a purchase. Good Luck!
    Seeking Donations: Recently Diagnosed With Terminal Senioritis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy
    I am looking for reasonably priced products, mostly stuff available at auto stores etc.
    Meguiar`s is available at local auto stores and is pretty good, but ...

I`m new too (just started in Jan) and, if possible I`d suggest using Fourstar products from Patrick at Excel Detail ( http://www.exceldetail.com ). He`s got ultra cheap prices and 4* is great. You should be able to buy all of your MF towels and interior/exterior products from him.

If you don`t want to use a credit card you can always just send him a check or money order (from a bank) - I just did it today, although I`ve ordered by CC twice too and you just use paypal (I think it skips a small percentage for him by check though - a small tip

Anyway, I have nothing to do with Patrick, I`m just a happy customer, but I`ve ordered pads and MF from other places and I think Patrick`s is better and it`s cheaper. For example he has Propel pads for a PC which I like better than the lake county.

Speaking of the PC I HIGHLY recommend getting one although you can do everything without one. My first detail was a Klasse AIO-4* UPP-4* UGE and it went awesome. I did one panel by hand and it was easy although I`m glad to have the PC!

I got mine on sale from Lowe`s before Christmas for $79 and Lowe`s seems to offer them on sale about every 3 months - just watch the boards.

Sorry for the rambling - just some thoughts from another noob

WaffleWeed
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont think this can be bought locally but i recommend poorboys natural look for the interior dash.i use to use armor all too but ive heard that it attracts dust.

when i switch to poorboys natural look, i will never go back to armor all again. natural looks provides a sheen look to my interior, which i prefer. plus the natural look has UV protection and it lasts pretty long.

i recommend getting poorboys natural look.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a LOT of good stuff locally. They are all used by members. Here are a few:

Interior:
    -Oxiclean: mix with warm water and work into vacuumed carpet and extract using a wet/dry. Don`t forget to pretreat stains. Folex or Shout can be found easily

-Armorall: It is safe to use and does a decent job. If not this then try

-303 Aerospace: At your local Camping World (I`ve seen it at Ace Hardware and Riebes Auto Parts in my area)

-Plexus: For all plastics, I found it at West Marine

Engine:
    -Simple Green: only on over greasy spots
    -Gunk Foam: overall engine detail
    -CD2 Engine Detail: You`ll love this stuff. It is a one step engine restore.
    All found at AutoZone

Exterior:
    Find a local paint shop or NAPA/Riebes and they`ll have MEGS for you. My local paint shop also carries 3M. Walmart and Pep Boys are also loaded with good stuff.

Contrary to popular belief a lot of great products can be found locally. You could really go to Walmart or Pep Boys and find EVERYTHING you need except for a heavy/medium abrasive. However, I do love buying online. When you factor in GAS to drive to ALL these different places and the time it would take, shopping online might be better...

Good luck!!!
    The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.
    -Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeezy415
    ....Contrary to popular belief a lot of great products can be found locally....

I completely and totally agree with you on this.

Proud Jetta Owner
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m new to this site too, and I love my Klasse AIO and SG. I get it from www.click-worx.com and they are really nice there. The Klasse AIO alone is a great product, but if you finish it off with the SG, the finish is a shine that will speak for itself!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Volks_Jetta
    I`m new to this site too, and I love my Klasse AIO and SG. I get it from www.click-worx.com and they are really nice there. The Klasse AIO alone is a great product, but if you finish it off with the SG, the finish is a shine that will speak for itself!
    Maybe you should try looking at PAC, DC`s sponsor. Not only is Dwayne also nice, but his prices and selection are better, you`ll save even more with the DC discount, shipping is relatively inexpensive, you might get more in your package than you thought you would, and you`d be helping support the site. Just a suggestion.

Check out PAC here.

Thread Information