Post Thanks / Like

Better Business Bureau...worth it to sign up?

Hi everyone.

Today I got my call from the BBB. I recently submitted a bid to detail/maintain a fleet of 25 cars. Undoubtedly they called the BBB as part of their proposal evaluation. Since I am a relatively new business (and since I try really hard to keep people happy), they had no nothing to report.

As a result of having nothing to report about my business, BBB called to sign me up with a membership. It`s $365 a year. I am on the fence about whether it is worth the cash outlay.

Anyone have any experiences or opinions on the BBB?

SC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Better Business Bureau...worth it to sign up?

Sounds like alot of money for basiclly nothing in return . The only information the BBB would give out to prospective customers is your contact info. Unless someone files a complaint against you then they would have all the dirt on you ( no pun intended ) JMO Maybe someone can enlighten us better.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve also looked into the BBB, other than having a nice jpeg to put on your website, and the right to say, "I`m a member of the BBB", I think its not to much of a good deal. But then again thats me. 400 bux a year could go towards damn near about a years worth of supplies or how about some advertising?

Personally I think if you advertise you are part of the BBB, it gives someone more incentive to actually report you. Then you`re in a world of snot, and being in a world of snot is a sticky sticky thing to be in (pun definetly intended ).

Just my 2cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ndnguy
    Personally I think if you advertise you are part of the BBB, it gives someone more incentive to actually report you. Then you`re in a world of snot, and being in a world of snot is a sticky sticky thing to be in (pun definetly intended ).

Just my 2cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by rollman
    Unless someone files a complaint against you then they would have all the dirt on you ( no pun intended )
    That occurred to me also. When people call the BBB, they want to find out if there are skeletons in your closet. If the BBB says they have no info on your business, to most folks that means that no one has reported anything negative. That is a good thing. And it costs nothing.

If you sign up with the BBB, they will have info about your business. That info can be used for or against you, depending on the situation.

I think that my $365 can be better used in a direct mail campaign.

SC~

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Better Business Bureau...worth it to sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
    That occurred to me also. When people call the BBB, they want to find out if there are skeletons in your closet. If the BBB says they have no info on your business, to most folks that means that no one has reported anything negative. That is a good thing. And it costs nothing.

If you sign up with the BBB, they will have info about your business. That info can be used for or against you, depending on the situation.

I think that my $365 can be better used in a direct mail campaign.

SC~
    Secret Chimp: 1
    BBB: 0

:headbang

(best use of smilies ever!)

Post Thanks / Like

In this situation I don`t necessarily think it`s worthwhile to be a member of the BBB. If you were doing sales... say like the furniture company I work for, which does tons of online and phone sales, saying we`re a member of the BBB is awesome because it inspires confidence in our potential customers.

Thread Information