PDA

View Full Version : Bird-Bomb Etching - correction idea

RAG
12-25-2005, 11:47 PM
I figure this board was designed to advance ideas...so call me crazy if you want.

I was thinking it would be interesting to fill in etching with clear coat (for those who couldn`t live with the etching this may be a viable option, but I don`t know). Backing up a bit...a couple times I have taken customer`s cars do the body shop to have them drip clear coat into to fish eyes on repaints gone wrong. I then sanded the filled in fish-eyes to be flush with the paint and buffed them out. Believe it or not, but it almost always ends up virtually undetectable. Possibly this would work to fill in etching, but realistically I`m guessing it is a lot harder to fill in bird crap etching than a single fish eye hole, and it would have to be done real good, because I wouldn`t want to do much sanding at all on a thin factory jobber.

Mad iX
12-26-2005, 04:41 PM
My understanding of bird bomb etching is that no paint is missing, it`s just been discolored and cloudy. So I don`t know how putting more clear coat would help as it would still be 100% visible.

Unless you mean to remove the etched paint and then fill in that spot with clear?