PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! - Residue on windshield

ahohnstein
12-25-2005, 03:26 PM
I recently took my car to a detailer that details in my office`s parking deck. He did a great job except for one thing. He pointed out when I picked up the car that it appeared I had gotton something on the windsheild!!! :angry He had TRIED to get it out to no avail. Now... I haven`t put ANYTHING on my windshield. He must have sprayed something on the top of the car and it looks like it ran down across the top of the windshield all acroos the front. It extends down about 6 inches. This is a Chevy Tahoe so I`m guessing he got lazy and decided to squirt something (wax, polymer???, protectant) up on the top of the truck and missed. It`s not too noticeable during the day. At night, however, it looks like there is an oily sheen on the windshield and lights look like stars. It`s very annoying.

I have tried Windex, some specialized professional foam on glass cleaner, Bon Ami, a citrus (acidic) cleaner... Everything that I can think of. Even got on there with a razor blade to try and scrape it off. No avail.... :wall

Can anyone suggest something that might work?

On a side note, I recently purchased a 2006 Lexus IS 350 and have done quite a bit of "lurking" and research to find out what I needed to take care of my new car. I decided upon a full package of Menzerna (FPII (which I have not used on my new car), Final Glaze, and FMJ). I recently clayed the car, applied glaze and sealed with FMJ. It looks better than it did on the showroom floor. I`m working toward getting a PC and I`ve already bought my pads, etc for the polisher. Thanks to everyone for a great site with a wealth of information! I`ve learned a ton!!!

imported_hadboosttroy
12-25-2005, 03:59 PM
i would try zaino glass polish, or maybe klasse aio to get your windshield residue off. i have yet to come across anything zaino glass polish couldn`t take care of.

imported_Neothin
12-25-2005, 08:35 PM
I second the AIO suggestion. Today I did a G35 that had three years worth of waterspots baked onto the glass by the florida sun. a few slow passes with AIO on a 4" orange LC cutting pad and the glass was perfect again. If it can get that off, im sure it can get a little residue off. maybe try some isopropyl alcohol?

audipower
12-25-2005, 11:50 PM
You can use a triple 0 (000) wool pad. You can get them at Home Depot in the paint section near the wood stains. I used it to remove pain over spray that clay wouldn`t remove of the windows from bad painters. Make sure the glass is clean. I suggest Stoners Invisible Glass. Hands down the best. Or try Acetone aka nail polish remover. Don`t use double 0 or single 0 wool pads. triple 0 will not scratch glass if the glass isn`t dirty. Just rub, don`t act like your scrubbing floors :) Oh, and you can take the detailer to small claims court. If doens`t remove and they can pay for a new windshield.

audipower
12-25-2005, 11:55 PM
On a side note, I recently purchased a 2006 Lexus IS 350 and have done quite a bit of "lurking" and research to find out what I needed to take care of my new car. I decided upon a full package of Menzerna (FPII (which I have not used on my new car), Final Glaze, and FMJ). I recently clayed the car, applied glaze and sealed with FMJ. It looks better than it did on the showroom floor. I`m working toward getting a PC and I`ve already bought my pads, etc for the polisher. Thanks to everyone for a great site with a wealth of information! I`ve learned a ton!!!

Guy, Don`t use polish on that car now! Stick with the process you did. Maybe add some P21S wax. Along as you have no scratches don`t polish. You can use a non abrasive finish polish twice a year to remove micro scratches in your clear coat to keep it looking new.

I had a customer that got one and it was deja-vu. he used mezerna cutting polish. He mad some nasty mirroring on his brand new ride. Had to say something.

ahohnstein
12-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Guy, Don`t use polish on that car now! Stick with the process you did. Maybe add some P21S wax. Along as you have no scratches don`t polish. You can use a non abrasive finish polish twice a year to remove micro scratches in your clear coat to keep it looking new.

I had a customer that got one and it was deja-vu. he used mezerna cutting polish. He mad some nasty mirroring on his brand new ride. Had to say something.

Thanks! I did enough research to realize that I didn`t need to do anything other than glaze and protect. Threw the clay bar in there just cuz I wanted to try it. I was quite surprised to see all of the contaminants that I pulled off. I did however get some minor (very minor) swirl marks... probably due to claying the car??? I also purchased Menzerna quick detail acrylic sealer (same stuff in FMJ). I`ll apply that every other week after washing. I can`t help but run my hand over the finish every time I`m in the garage.... just like glass.

On the windshield... I`ve tried acetone. I also tried Bon Ami which I would liken to 00 steel wool (mild abrasive). My next step is to polish the glass with a mild cutting pad (as suggested above). Will let you all know how it turns out. I should be getting my PC in the next month or so.

All the best and thanks for the replied! Happy New Year!

imported_chpsk8
12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I think you should post a picture of this stuff on your glass. I cant` belive you`ve hit it with all that stuff and it hasn`t gone away. Even the stickiest of stuff should have lifted with that combo. Sure it aint maple syrup? :D

s2skimon
12-27-2005, 10:50 AM
isopropyl alcohol 50%

water 50%

damp a rag in that mixture and give it some good elbow grease.. ?

Mikeyc
12-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Guy, Don`t use polish on that car now!

I`m not sure why you reacted so exhuberantly when he stated he bought polish for his new car. It`s not unusual for a brand new car to need polishing right off the lot. I don`t know too many dealers that know how to properly prep a car`s paint and often cars are delivered already swirled or cob webbed.

About your glass, the steel wool suggestion was good. Also, the K-AIO suggestion was good as well, but if you don`t already have K-AIO and you`re looking to order something I would try the Detailer`s Pride Glass Polish. I just used it on my car and it took out all the water spotting and made the glass look as shiney as my paint.