PDA

View Full Version : Glaze really needed ?

SouthFlaGT
12-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I have decided what products I`m going to use to detail my car. However, I want to know if glaze is really needed. Will glaze remove or some how mess up with the swirl remover ? I want to use

1) WolfGang Swirl Remover/Sonus DAS Orange foam pad.

2) WolfGang Glaze/Sonus DAS Green foam pad

3) Blackfire all Finish Paint Protection/Sonus DAS Blue foam pad

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html The link just incase your not familiar with Sounus DAS pads.

Thanks In Advance for those who answer.

Dan

Lowejackson
12-25-2005, 01:21 PM
A glaze is just one route which can be taken. You do not need to use one but there is nothing wrong with using a glaze either

Wasatch
12-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Sometimes I only use a glaze.

DM101
12-25-2005, 01:54 PM
A glaze like meguire`s no.3 or 7 are under utilized. They add enriching "stuff" to make the paint deeper and wetter looking. McGuire`s 3 amd 7 are pure polishes that have no abrasive or removing additives. But they can`t be used alone because they have no durability. They must be topped with a lsp. IMHO

SouthFlaGT
12-25-2005, 02:18 PM
MDRX8, you are talking to a person that thought NuFinish twice a year was taking great care of my car. You have lost me completly. As for the original post, WolfGang Swirl Remover and a orange foam pad won`t act like a compound will it ? I don`t want to remove paint...and I`m assuming I need the Wolfgang glaze becuase I read the info. on the website and it says that swirl remover may leave the paint slighty hazy, put glaze to bring back a like new shine.

Dan

P.S. I don`t know if the question I ask are extremely newbish or not, but I`m a complete newb to this. I only know the basics, Clay/Polish/Wax. I just don`t know what products are better/stronger than others.

exile
12-25-2005, 03:17 PM
SouthFlaGT, OK, as one noobe to another, let me see if I can shed some light on this. No, you don`t have to use a glaze. No, a glaze won`t mess up your application of your swirl remover. As a matter of fact it should compliment your swirl remover. Some glazes have fillers and will help hide any swirls you might leave behind, some glazes have no fillers, but in any case a glaze will make your finished product richer, wetter, and deeper looking, so you stand to lose nothing by using the glaze, it will only make things look better. On the other hand it is not absolutely necessary that you apply a glaze, just depends on what kind of job you want to end up with. :bigups

SouthFlaGT
12-25-2005, 04:10 PM
exile.........with that said, glaze is going to be put on. I want the wet look on my Black mustang, dad`s silver maxima, and moms silver galant. But what about the swirl remover, will it remove paint ? all the cars have a great shine, except on my car and my fathers car have swirls. mmmmmm, can`t wait `till it all arrives, should be here on thurs. time for the weekend. :)

so tell me is this is right.

1) wash

2) clay

3) wash

4) swirl remover

5) glaze

6) wax

7) take pics

8)POST ON AUTOPIA !!!!!

Dan

exile
12-25-2005, 06:31 PM
SouthFlaGT, WolfGang Swirl Remover/Sonus DAS Orange foam pad looks to me to be just fine for your application. You may even find you need a little more cut to get the job done you want, but I don`t think you`ll create any problems with your swirl remover and orange pad. Looks like your plan is a winner...............Tom :xyxthumbs

SouthFlaGT
12-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Man, I have been doing some research and some people are saying that its a compound. If thats the case I`m not so sure I want to touch it. I`m a detailing newb, I don`t want to burn my paint or remove to much clearcoat/paint.

Dan

Richt
12-26-2005, 02:21 AM
You wont remove swirls without removing paint. That said The Wolfgang and Orange Pad will be fine, will do a good job cleaning up your paint.

If it is your first time using the machine, I would try it first with a mild polish or glaze with a polishing pad to get used to it.

As for glazes I love the look they add to the paint.

SouthFlaGT
12-26-2005, 05:49 AM
Yeah, I was reading up on alot of stuff. And I see that you can either remove swirls, or hide swirls. My guess, after reading and what you said, WG will take paint. But as you said I`m new to the PC. I`m may cancell my order for WG and just use the Sonus Swirl remover that came with the kit I bought, or is the Sonus swirl remover just as harsh as wolfgang ? If so then I guess I `ll just go to pep boys and buy #9 meguiars since I know thats not a very harsh polish.

Dan

Super
12-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Compound is heavy duty (for badly neglected scratched cars mostly) used with a polishing pad or a cutting pad, cutting pad mostly. Most Compounds brands are about the same

Polish is for getting a gloss and is used with a PC using a polishing pad or cutting pad, polishing pad best end results. Every brand of polish has there own ingredients. Some polishes have a glaze and polish and or cleaner all in one. Some polishes have polymers, some polishes are finer then other polishes.

Say you have dull or simi dull paint 1. (Picture below) you would want to bring it to 3 or better. For the best results use a polish that the abrasives brakes down and gets smaller while you polish w/o glaze fillers in the polish. After you have polish you can use a glaze for even better results.

#5 Mirror finish takes wet sanding #4 is OEM paint

Glaze: brings oil/s to the paint that shows color better and or have fillers to fill-in micro / scratches #3. There are all kinds of glazes light glazes for #3 or heavy duty glazes for #1. The best is a light glaze for better results.

Glaze will wash away after a couple of car washings its best to have a sealer or wax over it.

http://www.willitsline.com/paint%20light.gif