PDA

View Full Version : Gentlest Polish for Very Minor Swirls/Scratches

Pages : [1] 2

E55
12-25-2005, 05:58 AM
My MB is just over 4 months old. While washing it yesterday I noticed that it now has some very minor swirls & scratches. I only saw them because the sun hit at just the proper angle & I was standing with my face practically against the paint.

I`m looking for the gentlest polish I can find to remove these marks. I have some AIO. Will that do it?

--

E55

White95Max
12-25-2005, 06:02 AM
I doubt it. Try something like SSR1, VM, or RMG.

Happy Holidays!

DrSauekraut
12-25-2005, 06:11 AM
AIO will conceal light marring. Consider 303, FP2, GEPC, Metallic Polish, or SFX2.

E55
12-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Oh, yeah, I need a polish that can be applied by hand.

--

Hook

Pats300zx
12-25-2005, 06:49 AM

--

Hook

AIO and GEPC are easy to use by hand.

DrSauekraut
12-25-2005, 06:52 AM

Hmmm . . . haven`t polished by hand in a while.

I read a good review about this: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sonhandpol.html

Alfisti
12-25-2005, 07:03 AM
1Z Metallic Polish Wax.

spotpad
12-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze would be my bet. Maybe Scottwax can chime in since he used to do everything by hand and still get spectacular results.

Accumulator
12-25-2005, 09:30 AM
I`d go with either the 1z Metallic or the #80, and even then I`d be prepared to use something more aggressive. Even with very light marring, you gotta cut clear and that takes a little doing by hand. The very mild products mentioned only work for me after all discernable marring has been removed using something more aggressive.

RVM
12-25-2005, 01:36 PM
If it is that light I would just use AIO or something by hand and just fill it as much as I can. No sense grinding off clear for very minor swirls that you can only see at certain angles.

Just my opinion.

Accumulator
12-25-2005, 04:08 PM
AIO never really hides anything for me, if anything it makes marring more noticable. If you want to hide it, I`d try something like 1Z WaxPolishSoft, or 3M SMR light/dark, or one of Meg`s "pure polishes", or some other glaze and then top with a "heavy" carnauba.

imported_Neothin
12-25-2005, 08:38 PM
I agree with Accumulator on this. I`d go for the filler/heavy wax combo on really like swirls. Something like RMG followed by a collinite or #16 would hide a good deal of swirling. Check my sig for my combo. It hides a good deal of marring.

audipower
12-25-2005, 11:37 PM
How about preventing those swirls. Answer these questions?

Do you use two buckets when washing? One for soap and other to rinse the mit.

Do you use microfiber towels and wool mits? Or do you use terry cloths or cotton towels to wash the vehicle or dry?

If you use terry cloths or any cotton to wash or dry your car you will get swirls. Use two buckets to wash. One for soap and the other to rinse the mit, so you can release the dirt from the mit. Not put it in the soap water that goes back on the car. Use a high quality soap like sonus or p21s.

All these suggestions are great on how to remove them, but try limiting them. Use a finish polish ever 6 months to minimize micro scratches in your clear coat.

Good luck~!

E55
12-26-2005, 09:15 AM
How about preventing those swirls. Answer these questions?

Do you use two buckets when washing? One for soap and other to rinse the mit.

Do you use microfiber towels and wool mits? Or do you use terry cloths or cotton towels to wash the vehicle or dry?

If you use terry cloths or any cotton to wash or dry your car you will get swirls. Use two buckets to wash. One for soap and the other to rinse the mit, so you can release the dirt from the mit. Not put it in the soap water that goes back on the car. Use a high quality soap like sonus or p21s.

All these suggestions are great on how to remove them, but try limiting them. Use a finish polish ever 6 months to minimize micro scratches in your clear coat.

Good luck~!

This is a good point. I do use good washing techniques & materials. However, I think I know how I caused the scratches & it`s something about which I`ve been worried.

I have been a frequent user of QD sprays to remove dust & light dirt from the car. Several people have suggested that this is likely to lead to small scratches over time. based on what I saw the other day, I think they`re right.

Sigh ... I think it`s time I laid off the frequent QD`ing & let the dust build up until I can wash properly.

--

Hook

Scottwax
12-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze would be my bet. Maybe Scottwax can chime in since he used to do everything by hand and still get spectacular results.

Yeah, #80 is a great product and since an E55 most likely has the CeramiClear paint, to remove even minor swirling you will need a true polish like #80. You should also seriously consider investing in a PC or a Cyclo for future polishing.