PDA

View Full Version : Is my PC7424 broken?

rhagan
12-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Today and yesterday I polished our SUV with my new PC 7424. I used it to polish with a foam pad, and then with a microfiber bonnet to remove the wax that I used. With this last step, it looked as if the rotation force was very little - the moment I touched the pad to the car, the pad seemed to only vibrate, not rotate.

I did not notice this with polishing, but then the foam pad is completely symmetrical, so I probably wouldn`t see it not rotating. I find that I can stop the rotation fairly easily just by holding the pad with my hand.

This is my first attempt with any machine polishing.

Is this normal?

Thanks, and merry Christmas!

kokketiel

Accumulator
12-24-2005, 04:53 PM
kokketiel- Welcome to Autopia and Merry Christmas!

What you described is normal. The weight of the pad and the bonnet is enough that just a little force will reduce the "dual action" of the random orbital machine to a more "single action" sort of jiggling/vibration such as you described. It`ll do this if you apply enough pressure while polishing too. It`s not a real problem per se, just a case of finding the limits of the machine in some ways. Many of us don`t worry about the action/behavior under discussion, we just apply pressure as needed to get the job done.

imported_Neothin
12-24-2005, 08:33 PM
you could try 4" pads next time. I find that it takes more pressure to stop the dual action motion with smaller pads than it would when using a larger backing plate/pad combination.

rhagan
12-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the replies!