PDA

View Full Version : Cabe/DSL Router question

JasonD
12-24-2005, 01:08 PM
My Linksys BEFSR41 4-port wired router took a dump yesterday, and after using it as the brains of my network for the last two years, I never stopped to compare it to other routers on the market. The reason I`m bringing this up is because now that I don`t have a router, I am directly connected to my cable modem (Linksys) with one computer, and my internet connection is WAY faster now. Websites load without any hesitation at all, and I can only assume this had to do with the router. After poking around on zipzoomfly and newegg, I saw some interesting reviews of the Linksys routers where people were complaining about the lag they were experiencing using Linksys routers like mine.

My question is, what`s the best wired router with a 4-port switch to buy right now? Are there any that peform better than the rest, reducing the latency issues I have evidentally been experiencing for the last two years??

I actually noticed that a few people were pretty impressed with Netgear, but then I saw quite a few reviews that were the exact opposite. I am almost leaning toward DLink,....I don`t know.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have a 5mb cable connection if that matters and I have to have at least a 4 port switch but the more the better.

Thanks!

kpounds
12-24-2005, 01:41 PM
We have a D-Link 604 wired router at home and just upgraded its drivers yesterday. We have a 6mb cable connection and speed went up by 1MB after the upgrade. (nice! to 5.5MB) The thing I`ve liked about D-Link is you can call their customer support for free if you have any problem. I don`t much about routers except they direct traffic....but I do like being able to call customer support anytime and having them walk me thru a problem.

imported_chpsk8
12-24-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a Linksys 54g and it works very well.. MY first one dumped on me after 2 years, and I just bought a slightly upgraded one. I think it`s a 54G... oh I don`t know, some other letter. It`s supposed to be "speed boosted" whatever that means.

I haven`t had any problems with mine. I have a buddy that runs D-link stuff, and he doesnt` have any problems either. My range on my new router is insane. I had to lock it finally because the neighbors were getting on too much! :D

JasonD
12-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Until yesterday, I never had a single problem with mine, but now that I have taken the router out of the loop and am now direct to the modem, I can see a big performace increase.

Anyway, like I said, I read where routers have a CPU in them and the various brands, types, etc. all have different speeds thus producing different latencies. From what I understand, the lower the latency, the faster you connect to websites and such.

The Netgear website boasts a 50% faster CPU than most others, but I just don`t know about that. Manufacturer claims are almost always overly exaggerated.

I ver well may even just go back with Linksys since my whole network is made up of Linksys products, and their 24/7 Live Chat customer support is really nice too.

FYI, I just found a DLink gaming router that looks really cool, but it seems that it`s optimized for gaming specifically, and I`d rather have something that is just faster all around.

autoweenie
12-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I have a D-link DI-524 (el cheapo).

It is both wired and wireless. Bought a couple of AirLink PCMCIA cards to go with other "roaming" laptops in the house. My main PC is wired connected to this router.

Works pretty well. I have cable modem (normal package) and I average around 3.2 Mbits per second. The wireless thingies were incredibly easy to set up (I work in hi-tech industry but am totally petrified when PC is involved).

JasonD
12-25-2005, 01:09 AM
Well, after not being able to decide what to buy, I happened to be talking to a friend of mine, and he had the exact same router I was already using just sitting in a box in his office, so he gave it to me as a Christmas present. I can`t argue with free!

kpounds
12-25-2005, 02:07 AM
That rocks! Mery Christmas! :2thumbs:

Check for any firmware updates if available, really made a difference on ours....very snappy connection now vs. a bit laggy before.

Pats300zx
12-25-2005, 04:18 AM
Awesome.... :bounce

AL-53
12-25-2005, 11:43 AM
I had a Netgear and a D-Link ..G mode...and both did not perform well...Then I got the WRT54G and all was good..no performance hit...speed was same as with just a straight connection...there is a good linksys forum that shows proper setup and tweaking...I run 2 desktops and 2 notebooks of this and all is well...plus the firmware is open source and there are a lot of modded firmware that really enhances the router....

AL