PDA

View Full Version : The difference a year makes

JeffM
12-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I joined here last December, probably asking alot of the same questions that are common here, making mistakes and learning OTJ.

I feel i have made alot of progress with the pc in a year. I dont polish many cars, so it may have taken the better portion of a year to figure this stuff out for me.

What i am starting to fine tune is the amount of product it actually takes to work a 2x2 area, after the pad is moist with product. I am using very very little, and the results are better than ever.

I get less dust, less caking, less micromarring, i polish quicker, polish wipes off easier, and generally have more fun doing it.

I am also getting pretty good with how long to work a polish in. Some of the ones i use often, i dont really even pay attention to, i just stop with out thinking really.

I thought i would share how Autopia has helped me in one of many ways this past year :2thumbs:

BigAl3
12-24-2005, 01:18 PM
I thought i would share how Autopia has helped me in one of many ways this past year :2thumbs:

same hear buddy! :xyxthumbs

cwcad
12-24-2005, 08:12 PM
I joined here last December, probably asking alot of the same questions that are common here, making mistakes and learning OTJ.

I feel i have made alot of progress with the pc in a year. I dont polish many cars, so it may have taken the better portion of a year to figure this stuff out for me.

What i am starting to fine tune is the amount of product it actually takes to work a 2x2 area, after the pad is moist with product. I am using very very little, and the results are better than ever.

I get less dust, less caking, less micromarring, i polish quicker, polish wipes off easier, and generally have more fun doing it.

I am also getting pretty good with how long to work a polish in. Some of the ones i use often, i dont really even pay attention to, i just stop with out thinking really.

I think that you have the process of detailing down quite well. I also think that you have become a sage.

Mike Phillips over at MOL quotes someone that he respects quite often. I believe that this person was chemist that helped develop new products. I will probably hack up the quote but it goes something like this..."Choose a product and use it often".

I feel the same as you. Autopia has taught me a lot. The saying I quoted did not make sense to me when I first read it. It does now after reading your post.

imported_NHBFAN
12-24-2005, 08:15 PM
I`m a slow learner. I still use too much product and I still suck at windows.

imported_Neothin
12-24-2005, 08:28 PM
In just a half of a year I`ve come a long way from my sponge washes with blue coral wash soap and waxing with #26 to full out foam gun usage and using boutique brands. My car looks amazing. This place is amazing. Thanks everyone :woot:

Setec Astronomy
12-24-2005, 08:34 PM
I think it really takes quite a bit of hands-on experience to become proficient at the things you`re talking about. It`s one thing to read about how to work a polish the right way, it`s another to actually do it.

cwcad--not trying to be ***** here, but the quote is "Find a product you like, and use it often", and the author is someone who works for PPG paint.

cwcad
12-24-2005, 08:50 PM
I think it really takes quite a bit of hands-on experience to become proficient at the things you`re talking about. It`s one thing to read about how to work a polish the right way, it`s another to actually do it.

cwcad--not trying to be ***** here, but the quote is "Find a product you like, and use it often", and the author is someone who works for PPG paint.

You were not. Thanks for the correction. With the proper quote it is even more appropriate. In my humble defense I did say that I would probably hack it up. Which I did. :sign :bow :bow

Setec Astronomy
12-24-2005, 08:58 PM
LOL--ur ok.

cwcad
12-24-2005, 09:00 PM
LOL--ur ok.

thanks.

Read my signature. I really believe in it.

Scottwax
12-25-2005, 12:12 AM
4 years here and I am still learning. :)

danwatt
12-25-2005, 01:31 AM
I joined this place cause I wanted to learn some wet sanding techniques to fix the orange peel on my Mercedes. Well, I got so into it that I`m starting a mobile detailing business. No more working for the Man!