PDA

View Full Version : big problems after body shop work

imported_tuffluck
12-23-2005, 06:35 PM
so my camaro got keyed on the driver`s door and rear quarter. i got it repainted about 6 weeks ago, and ever since i`ve had nothing but problems.

firstly, it had swirls all over it; they might have existed because of a crappy car cover, but only the newly painted surface was damaged. they buffed it out.

the next week i noticed bubbles forming in the paint underneath the window trim. it was claimed to be orange peel that wasn`t buffed out by the shop. they told me to bring it in next week and they`d buff it out.

now, today, the bubbles and surrounding paint are turning white, creating not navy blue paint, but white patches on navy blue paint.

and FINALLY, the big kicker, i notice today that clear coat overspray is covering the entire back of my car. they claimed to have covered the entire car, however, there is a line of masking tape and another line where they used a sheet to drape over the car, and the rest has clear coat overspray.

i couldn`t buff it out, i couldn`t clay it out, it is really really thick overspray. it`s almost as if it was a new coat of clear that wasn`t buffed at all. it looks terrible! i really don`t know what to do anymore...i keep finding problems, problems, and then problems create themselves (paint turning colors). what do you guys suggest here?

wannafbody
12-23-2005, 06:45 PM
don`t do anything else to the car- talk to the body shop and give them a chance to make it right. If that doesn`t work get your insurance company to put some leverage on them.

imported_steveo3002
12-24-2005, 01:25 AM
sounds like these white bubbles are where the clear coat hasnt stuck well beacuse of peer prep

did your insurance pay for this?? if so it would be worth calling to to say your unhappy with the work

JeffM
12-24-2005, 05:17 AM
Start taking pictures now.

Get a notebook and write down every event and the day/time. Write down every conversation you have had with the shop too.

You might have to goto court.

Intercooled
12-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Sounds like a bunch of hacks!!! The bubbles sound like improperly applied clear. I had an over spray problem years ago. It was a real pain to fully remove. At that time I had to use the old red compound to remove it. I wouldn`t be happy either!!

Tasty
12-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Start taking pictures now.

Get a notebook and write down every event and the day/time. Write down every conversation you have had with the shop too.

You might have to goto court.

Documentation is your friend. I agree with this advice. Write down who you have talked to each time, what they tell you, etc. etc.

imported_tuffluck
12-24-2005, 11:40 AM
insurance didn`t pay for it directly, but actually paid me and had me take it where i wanted to take it.

should i demand the shop take out the overspray or give me some money back?

i have also started documenting things.

JeffM
12-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes, i would ask for a reading using a paint thinkness gauge of the oversprayed area, then ask them to fix it.

You dont want them to smoke your paint, in retaliation for demanding decent work.

I would speak to them in a polite manner, but firmly. Document everything, and ask them key questions, setting them up, and write it down. They will think you are a moron, and let cocky answers slip.

Either that or they are just hacks, and think they do good work lol.

imported_tuffluck
12-26-2005, 10:05 AM
what sort of reading should come up? i want to know what the numbers mean if i`m going to ask them.

i also should ask them to do the same thing on the newly painted part that is turning white, huh? i wouldn`t want them to buff all that out and smoke the clear there as well.

imported_Reflections
12-26-2005, 06:48 PM
You can also take it to another shop and have them do an estimate to fix the screwup, then take that number to the first shop, and tell them that if they`re not going to fix it, you can have the other shop do it and the first one can cover the tab. My dad did this for repairs on his supra once cause one shop screwed everything up. Be polite but put some leverage on them, as mentioned above.

imported_tuffluck
12-26-2005, 07:19 PM
You can also take it to another shop and have them do an estimate to fix the screwup, then take that number to the first shop, and tell them that if they`re not going to fix it, you can have the other shop do it and the first one can cover the tab. My dad did this for repairs on his supra once cause one shop screwed everything up. Be polite but put some leverage on them, as mentioned above.

i do like that idea. thanks.