PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green foam gun intial thoughts.

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_DARKSTI
12-22-2005, 06:00 PM
w00t!!! I got a early Christmas present, a Simple Green foam gun :) :clap:

Luckily i had just enough time to try it tonite and the rain stopped so i had a short period to try it.

I love it.

I used my moms `06 Jeep Grand Cherokee (black). It hasnt had any prep yet, due to weather and timing issues, but im hoping to get some time to do it for a Christmas present. It had a good amount of dirt on the sides from recent heavy rains.

I put 2oz of TOL BB into the contianer and sprayed just water to wet the surface then went to the 4:1 solution and sprayed it on the SUV and let it dwell for about 5 minutes. I used my 2 bucket method still and I noticed that the mitt was gliding a lot easier even on the really dirty areas. I then rinsed and dried and there wasnt any dirt left.

I plan on using it tomorrow on my STI, so I will get pics then.

I do need to get a quick disconnect so I do my soak step easier.

So far my only complaint is that the its hard sometimes to screw the bottle onto the nozzle.

My car is just as dirty if not dirtier so it will be a good test.

imported_truzoom
12-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Simple Green makes it? Pics?

imported_DARKSTI
12-22-2005, 06:04 PM
http://www.safetyplus.net/CandJproducts4.html#56SG13291

Accumulator
12-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Simple Green makes it?

Simple Green just markets it; it`s made by Gilmour.

DARKSTI- Sounds like you like it, glad to hear that. Heh heh, while you find the bottle tough to get *on*, I sometimes find mine unscrew by themselves!

imported_DARKSTI
12-22-2005, 06:19 PM
DARKSTI- Sounds like you like it, glad to hear that. Heh heh, while you find the bottle tough to get *on*, I sometimes find mine unscrew by themselves!

lmao, they have a mind of their own :grinno: :lol

Eliot Ness
12-23-2005, 12:37 AM
One of the things I like about the SG version of the Gilmour foam gun is the 1/2 gallon bottle.

Setec Astronomy
12-23-2005, 03:39 AM
Eliot! Where ya been?

Accumulator
12-23-2005, 09:58 AM
One of the things I like about the SG version of the Gilmour foam gun is the 1/2 gallon bottle.

And *I* like the smaller bottle of the one sold under the Butcher`s brand :D Easier for me to do my "mitt balloon" technique, especially on the horizontal surfaces. Lots of different ways to go with these things and each bottle option will have it`s pros and cons.

And yeah, nice to see you back here!

Spilchy
12-23-2005, 10:06 AM
And *I* like the smaller bottle of the one sold under the Butcher`s brand :D

Me too. I`m still finding it somewhat cumbersome to use while washing so I can imagine what a larger bottle would do. Still, your recommendation of a shutoff valve instead of the trigger gun helps control it by offering a better grip on the tool.

This is what I use (purchased in Home Depot though) http://secure.data-comm.com/RB/Detail.bok?no=49225

Bill D
12-23-2005, 10:48 AM
It will feel less and cumbersome as you go along. I agree, the larger bottle might be too much of an issue. Even with my extended over-the-top sessions, the standard Gilmour cup is quite ample.

It appears they finally have some shut off valves stocked locally here. They never even had a slot for them in the spring and summer. :confused:

Accumulator
12-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Spilchy- Yeah, I find that ditching the pistol grip has all sorts of advantages (including being able to more easily rest it in/on the rinse bucket).

Those shutoffs like you linked are hard for me to turn with one finger but they don`t leak or blow apart like the plastic Gilmour ones I use. I used the metal ones for years until I decided to switch and like the bottles they both have their pros and cons. Heh heh, watch how you drop them (mine are on the hose with a female quick disconnect after them that hooks onto my foamgun/nozzles/etc.) as they`ll become instantly useless if you break the plastic lever off. Can make for quite a rainstorm if you break the lever off and it switches to "on" at the same time :eek:

Repeating what we`ve posted before:

Ditch the pistol grip by taking it apart at the central quick disconnect; this will leave a male qd sticking out of the back of the foamgun. Put a shutoff on the end of the hose. Put a female qd after the shutoff (you could use the one that screws onto the pistol grip but its big plastic ring, while easy to use, might not be to your liking). Put male qds on your other nozzles, etc. The qd fittings used on the foamgun work fine with all the brass qds I`ve tried, it appears to be an industry-standard size.

Bill D
12-23-2005, 10:54 AM
The plastic shut offs are doing well for me. But, I can probably use more. I have easy access to both the metal and plastic now. Any reason I should try the metal other than just to experiment?

imported_DARKSTI
12-23-2005, 10:56 AM
yea, i plan on getting the quick disconnects after christmas.

Eliot Ness
12-23-2005, 05:31 PM
..........And yeah, nice to see you back here!

Thanks Accumulator and Setec, I`ve just been working a lot of crazy hours :furious:

Hope you all have a great holiday!

imported_Neothin
12-23-2005, 10:33 PM
I really like having the 1/2 gallon simple green gun. I don`t have to be constantly refilling the bottle like i would with a smaller container. I dont find it to be as cumbersome as other people have either.

I showed a friend today the gun and he thought it was really cool. This is a good thing considering he just got his car painted and is now looking for ways to keep it nice/