PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar concern - Black car

goixiz
12-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I clay bar a black car for the first time. Ive always owned white cars and this was my first black car. Its a 2005 SAAB - Black

I clay bar this black car for the first time and im a little concerned now because after claybar a section with QD and new Bar that section was extremely smooth (now) but under florescent light it looks like some one just waxed and left the wax on. IS THAT NORMAL

So I was little worried and I used more QD and MF cloth to try to remove the haze but its not coming off. IS this Normal. I did all this in the garage 60degF 25% humidity

I cant wash the car now. I will if its needed (tomorrow)

I was planning to do SMR tomorrow morning with HT-61 and white pad (first) and then WAx with gray pad and p21s wax

Sherman8r44
12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Hmm I`ve never noticed anthing of the sort...see if that Light Cut of yours does anthing for it

Setec Astronomy
12-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Was the car washed thoroughly before claying? How dirty did the clay get? If the paint has a lot of stuff stuck in it, you need to be careful with the clay that you don`t scratch the surface with the stuff you are picking up in the clay...especially with black.

goixiz
12-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Was the car washed thoroughly before claying? How dirty did the clay get? If the paint has a lot of stuff stuck in it, you need to be careful with the clay that you don`t scratch the surface with the stuff you are picking up in the clay...especially with black.

Yes i Washed it well and drove around the block then dried it and left for over a day in the garage before clay bar. The clay bar saw some specks of dirt but that i thought was normal. I constantly wet the panels and fold the bar. it never got to a point where it was dirty when i used it.

I have a feeling that the previous owner took it to a detail shop prior to me inspecting the car and they used some cheap wax and when i clay bar i removed the wax and left haze marks. I tried a small spot with quick wax and it took a few rubs to get the haze off so i assume i can get it tomorrow with my PC and yellow pad with the HT-61 (light cut leveller)

White95Max
12-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Clay can leave hazing as well, if you don`t lubricate it enough. I`ve had it happen a couple times, and a light polish takes it off easily.

goixiz
12-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Clay can leave hazing as well, if you don`t lubricate it enough. I`ve had it happen a couple times, and a light polish takes it off easily.

Thanks Paul for the confirmation. I know i wont sleep well if i didnt go find out for myself. I went and got a small applicator sponge and a pinch of HT-61 and gently rub it to a small spot and let it set and MF the haze away and it was a brilliant shine. So tomorrow I will use the white pad to see if it will remove the swirls and slight scratches (from snow brush). If not ill use the Yellow Pad.

Super
12-21-2005, 11:47 PM
On used cars you never know what is on top of the paint could be old heavy duty glaze, sealer or wax that was applied on the paint to make it look good, especially to “sell†it. In ether case you need to give it a good polish. After you have polish it you might see a lot of scratches or paint defects??? and you will be pulling out your hair ***? Well on hack detailing jobs that is what they do they use hd glaze to covert up defects and glossy sealer to make it look good, I’m just guessing.

I bet its concentrated QW and you let it dry, claying all you need is a vary little bit of QW or car wash. I know after I clay I see a film that’s from little bet of wash soap I use, clay bar braking down and contaminates from the car. All this stuff washes right off real easy. And give it a good polish.

Claying should be done right after you give it a good wash. Don’t forget to dry the windows first even if you are going to clay them.

aaron33
12-22-2005, 03:12 AM
I also got hazing with a newly opened claybar. Now I always followup with a mild polish like SSR1.

gmblack3
12-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Was it like this? (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65003&highlight=marring)

White95Max
12-22-2005, 11:06 PM
I always clay before polishing just in case I get some light marring from claying. I clay and polish twice per year, so I always polish AFTER claying just in case. That way my process isn`t affected whether the clay leaves any marring or not.