PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt change every 60K?

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
12-21-2005, 06:09 PM
My owner`s manual says to replace the timing belt every 60K miles if any of the following conditions apply, and then lists a bunch of things. Two of them (Driving the vehicle in an area where road salt or other corrosive material is applied, and driving for prolonged periods in cold temperatures) apply to me.

The previous owner said that she had the 60,000 mile service performed at the dealership before putting the car up for sale (it had 63.5K when I bought it). I would assume that the dealer changed the belt at that time, but I`m not sure.

I got a quote from my preferred mechanic for ~$400 to replace the belt. I don`t have the money now, but I will have the money in February to do this if need be.

I`ve got 70K now...should I be worried about timing belt failure?

To anyone else with a timing belt, have you ever changed it? If so, how often?

Setec Astronomy
12-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Some of this rationale depends on whether you will have a valve crash if the belt breaks. If not, you just have the potential of getting stranded. If so, you will be looking at major engine repairs if the belt breaks. The Mazda forums should be able to tell you about this and how far past 60K the belts usually last. I knew someone who had an Altima and was getting it serviced at a foreign car place that specialized in Nissans and Hondas, and they had broken timing belts hung on nails on the wall, with the breakage mileage written alongside. There were plenty that were pretty low, 60`s or 70`s I think (I don`t remember exactly, this was about 5 years ago).

AL-53
12-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Go to the dealership..and ask for the service records to see if the timing belt was replaced ...My girlfriend had the belt changed in her Accord at a local garage and it was around 285.00 ..the dealer wanted close to 425.00 for same thing....the garage she went to put on a kevlar type belt that is suppose to last longer than OEM belt....job took less than 3 hours....49.00 an hour labor x 2.75 hours...rest was parts....

AL

imported_truzoom
12-21-2005, 06:40 PM
I think the problem there is that he bought the car from someone in texas?

AL-53
12-21-2005, 06:44 PM
If he knows the dealerships name then call them....ask for the previous onwers service records...could save some money if was done...

Al

Accumulator
12-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Some of this rationale depends on whether you will have a valve crash if the belt breaks. If not, you just have the potential of getting stranded. If so, you will be looking at major engine repairs if the belt breaks...

Yeah, find out if it`s an "interference" type engine (as I believe they`re called) and try to figure out if it was replaced before you got it. No way to exaggerate how serious this can be.

zippymbr
12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
I have done atleast a dozen timing belts mainly on Hondas. Each one that I do I am amazed at how new the belt looks at 100,000 miles. Most of us do not need to follow the severe wear schedule. 60,000 miles seems like very early to change a timing belt. One other note. Many dealerships try to get you to change the water pump, main seal and othr parts while they are there. I would pass on it, it is just another way for them to increase their business. For what it is worth if you lived near me I would be glad to help you change it. I love to work on cars.

White95Max
12-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Yes the dealership is in Texas. I have all of the service records, but I don`t recall seeing anything about a timing belt. I`ll check again though.

Setec, it was brought up on the Mazda forums, and guy is at almost 200K, and hasn`t replaced it yet. In fact, he said he hasn`t replaced anything other than simple things like tires, filters, etc...

White95Max
12-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Nope...nothing about a timing belt. I don`t have any record of any services performed at or near 60,000 miles. :(

Setec Astronomy
12-21-2005, 07:24 PM
So, is your engine an "interference" design?

White95Max
12-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I don`t know...I`m looking in the owner`s manual now, and I`ll look/post about the subject on the Mazda forums.

Scottwax
12-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Many dealerships try to get you to change the water pump, main seal and othr parts while they are there. I would pass on it, it is just another way for them to increase their business. For what it is worth if you lived near me I would be glad to help you change it. I love to work on cars.

Considering the labor cost is the same if the water pump fails 10,000 miles after changing the timing belt, to me it is worth spending another $50-75 for a new water pump. Bearings, tensioners, seals, etc are usually fine when the first timing belt change is done but probably should be done when the belt is changed the next time.

The timing belt on my 626 was done at just over 64,000 miles. I now have 119,800 miles on my car. I guess if the first one was fine to 64k, the second one should be fine to 128k. :)

jchetty
12-21-2005, 08:49 PM
So, is your engine an "interference" design?

i would say with 90% certainity it is. Most overhead cams. and you factor in the compresion ratio i would say so. besides i have no idea who to ask, probaly call a local speed shop. and definetly replace the water pump, the reason you have to pay so much is labor. imagine if later down the line the water pump does fail, do u want to be out another 300. dont let them bsyou into think the water pump is going to be more than 180 :nono because the belt is already off..and shop around

White95Max
12-21-2005, 09:12 PM
The place I take my car to has mechanics that all know me and my car. And they know all about how I care for my car. I usually get compliments on my engine`s cleanliness when I take the car in :) . They do small jobs for me for free sometimes, and even loan me tools so I can do things myself.

I don`t think they`ll try to pressure me into any unnecessary repairs, and I know they won`t rip me off either.

I will probably look into replacing the water pump while the timing belt is being replaced. Might as well, I guess.

Does a bad water pump actually happen frequently? I always thought that most cars never needed a new water pump. :confused:

EBPcivicsi
12-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Hondas are done at 90,000, but I believe some Toyotas are 60,000 as well. When I had mine changed I just had them do water pump, drive belts, valve cover gasket, valve adjustment (along with some other routine maintenance), etc. I know that with my motor if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running, bye bye motor. I would have it done for sure, $400 is actually fairly cheap, mine was around $600.