PDA

View Full Version : Need help - guide to a good detailing

goixiz
12-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Ijust got a almost new car 2005 SAAB - BLACK. Previous owner lived in Rochester NY and recently started snowing so the car before i got it already has some signs of wear (paint). Mainly from washing and brushing with poor quality products.

I like to give the car a new start and today after several hours of washing and under car cleaning i have got it to lusre and shine but i can see the SMR and there are parts that has minor scratches.

I would like to get a recommendation / plan on how to get the car to as close to showroom shine again and durable is a priority. I have some products already but I am not sure how and when to use what.

I have:

Porter Cable with a hook and loop

2x white pad

2x lambs wool pad

1x yellow pad

1x black pad

P21s Kit http://www.topoftheline.com/p2comprodkit.html

CLay BAr

QDs

MF cloths

ANd I have a QUART of HT-61 by Hitemp Inc - Light power cut leveller

I want to get some advice from you experts on how to get my BLACK car back to as good a quality shine as i can get with my products i have in hand and if i have to buy some additional please recommend. I heard the Poorboys prod is a good choice. I know I will need to remove the minor scratches and swirls so i will start with that.

Please tell me which product to use and some hint on which pad and speed for the PC. I have used the PC 3-4 times

Greatly aprreciate any help

brwill2005
12-20-2005, 07:30 PM
The HT Light Cut is a very good product. It works very well with orbital machines. I would wash and then clay. Use the the yellow pad with the Light Cut first to polish the paint. Follow up with the white or black pad with the Light Cut again. Follow the polishing steps with the P21s. The key with HT`s Light Cut is to use a very small amount. When I use it with my Cyclo, which has two small polishing heads, I put approx a dime size amount on each pad per panel that I polish. With the PC, use maybe a little more than a nickel size amount. You know you are using the correct amount when the polish nearly disappears into the paint after polishing for a couple minutes. Not the this combo will not remove medium to heavy scratches. It will, however, give you a nice glossy and slick finish.

goixiz
12-20-2005, 08:24 PM
thanks for advice

I was concern my HT-61 would be too rough

Is the yellow pad more agreesive then the black ?

Where can i find a write up on the aggresiveness of the pad colors ?

thanks again

brwill2005
12-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Usually yellow pads are more aggressive than a white or black pad. It really depends on who the manufacturer is. You can feel which pad is more aggressive. I bet the yellow pad material is rougher than the white and black pad material. If so the yellow pad is more aggressive. The white pad is most likely a little more aggressive than the black. Again, it depends on the manufacturer.