PDA

View Full Version : My cloth top on my Deville is falling apart

Wicho
12-20-2005, 04:37 PM
The stiching around the border of my deville`s top is ocming apart. I check to see if I can stich it up but it looks like the top was stiched before it was put on the car. SHould I wip out the krazy glue and go to work or is there anything special out there that I can use in these sort of cases ? Any helpwould be great

Bill D
12-20-2005, 04:40 PM
I think this sounds like a job for a good automotive upholstery/convertible top repair shop. I feel glue, if successful, is only going to be a temporary fix.

Scottwax
12-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I agree with Bill, it will probably take someone at an upholstry shop to fix it properly.

Just one question-why a cloth top on a car if it isn`t a convertible?

Bill D
12-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Mine was my first car so I took what I found. I guess some just like the distinct look. I wouldn`t go anything other than Cadillac or Lincoln with the faux cabriolet roof though.

Scottwax
12-20-2005, 08:34 PM
I wouldn`t go anything other than Cadillac or Lincoln with the faux cabriolet roof though.

Quite honestly, I`d walk before I drove a car with a fake cloth top. ;)

Wicho
12-21-2005, 06:06 PM
I was looking for a caddy, and this one was the best I found for the price, it came with the cloth top. I belive it gives the car aa more "executive" look. to each his own I say

Bill D
12-21-2005, 06:07 PM
I can relate, I came to grow to like mine to the point where I would never give it up :up

Scottwax
12-21-2005, 09:07 PM
I was looking for a caddy, and this one was the best I found for the price, it came with the cloth top. I belive it gives the car aa more "executive" look. to each his own I say

:nixweiss At least there is less to wax....

Bill D
12-22-2005, 06:46 AM
Like Wicho says, it`s a "to each his own" situation.

wannafbody
12-22-2005, 07:54 AM
my moms convertible camaro had the same problem. I used SEAL ALL (walmart) to glue it together and potatoe chip bag clips to hold it in place till it dried. Worked great.

Ed Fisher
12-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Depends on how you see the car... if you plan to dump it and buy a new one soon just glue it.

If you plan to grow old with it go get it fixed or changed all over at a pro shop...

If you don`t want to keep it go get it stripped and the roof painted...

It all depends on your taste and plans...

Wicho
12-22-2005, 10:42 PM
I definetly plan on selling it in a few months. I want a small sports car now. Any other glues out there strong enough for the job ? Thanks for the help fellas

Wicho
12-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Anyone know of a good glue I can use ? I went to loook for "Seal All" at various stores including walmarts and many auto parts and none of them carry it.

wannafbody
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
maybe gorilla glue-the SealAll is usually in the walamrt automotive section near oil, and silicone gasket maker