PDA

View Full Version : Rust caused by snow and sleet

goixiz
12-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I just recently bought a 2005 SAAB from NY and it has seen some snow and sleet already. So i assume it got some rust from the salt. Im now back in Georgia with the car.

I noticed there are some rust spots on bare metal such as exhaust hangars, bolts and some under cariage parts. What can I do to stop the rust from progressing other than replacing them ? Ive used some stuff before that stops rust - changes from rust color to black and can be painted over. Is that a good plan ??

I plan to wash the car tomorrow in the day and drive it a little and apply the rust inhibitor wed or thu.

thanks

Ed Fisher
12-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Spray the undercarriage with hot water (preferrably on a lift) shampoo w,th a stiff brush and rinse again with hot water.

I use WD40 or especially Sonax` s protectant for motor bikes but you are free to choose what ever. After the Sonax protectant dries out I spray with spray carnauba. No great shine or looks but at least no deep and heavy rust either...

I also paint the whole exhaust system with aluminum paint every 4 to 6 months...

BUT :

1- NEVER ever do these when the parts are hot.

2- NEVER let anyone smoke near you, within a radius of at least 40 feet.

3- LET the stuff you used COMPLETELY DRY OUT BEFORE you start the engine or drive.

4- ALWAYS keep a good sized extinguisher at reach...

imported_steveo3002
12-20-2005, 02:49 AM
parts that are not protected from the factory dont really matter too much, theyre not going to cause any problems for you

like the other guy says make sure every bit of road salt has been washed of properly

theres a few things you can do if these rusty bits bother you..you can paint or apply a unbody wax, which is a thick waxy film that clings onto stuff and seals out any damp..not on hot items like exhausts though