PDA

View Full Version : Topping Glazes with Sealents- bonding issues

Pages : [1] 2 3

machboy
12-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Hey fellas was wondering if there are bonding issues with topping a glaze with a sealent.

Example would be: #80 topped with UPP

I ask because i know certain sealents like KSG need a clean oil free surface to bond to (like AIO). And the oils from a glaze would hinder that. So does this go for all sealents? or is it unique to KSG? I love the look of a glaze and love the durability of a sealent but not sure on using two together.

thanks in advance.

- Scott

imported_Neothin
12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
UPP is a really easy sealant to work with. I haven`t had any bonding issues with it using 3 different glazes, #7, RMG, and VM. I doubt that the oils from #80 will cause an issue.

imported_NHBFAN
12-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I`ll probably get flamed for this, but I believe an oil free surface, e.g. a properly prepped surface with a base of AIO, PB`s PP, or UPPC would provide a better bonding surface than products, e.g. VM, #80, etc ...

That being said I`ve still used combos like VM + EX (or EX-P) hundreds of times. Durability isn`t an issue on my own vehicle, I`m always applying something to it.

machboy
12-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Interesting info. thank you both for replying.

docker
12-19-2005, 04:29 PM
At another board there is someone who routinely tops VM with UPP and loves the effects.

I just ordered some WG Glaze to apply prior to WG sealant, which shouldn`t be an issue.

Sherman8r44
12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I`ll probably get flamed for this, but I believe an oil free surface, e.g. a properly prepped surface with a base of AIO, PB`s PP, or UPPC would provide a better bonding surface than products, e.g. VM, #80, etc ...

That being said I`ve still used combos like VM + EX (or EX-P) hundreds of times. Durability isn`t an issue on my own vehicle, I`m always applying something to it.

Don`t feel flamed, it is absolutely correct! Most sealants should have a clean, oil- and wax-free surface to bond with. Although I have seen different with the case of VM and, at times, PB PwC, most sealants should go on an unglazed surface.

sbkang
12-19-2005, 04:38 PM
There`s also the option of Menzerna FTG + FMJ, though I don`t know if either of those would be recommended for use with "other" glazes or sealants.

Sherman8r44
12-19-2005, 07:43 PM
FWIW, I think that DP`s Final Finishing Polish really increases gloss and reflection nicely, kinda like a permanent glaze. And it can be used under a sealant, because it`s just a chemical cleaner/very mild abrasive polish.

Scottwax
12-19-2005, 08:27 PM
FWIW, I think that DP`s Final Finishing Polish really increases gloss and reflection nicely, kinda like a permanent glaze. And it can be used under a sealant, because it`s just a chemical cleaner/very mild abrasive polish.

I agree. The look is similar to Vanilla Moose and probably more sealant friendly with respects to bonding.

Richt
12-20-2005, 04:43 AM
I think the use of any sealant of glazes will compromise durabilty. I have used EX-p, UPP and Wolfgang over VM and RMG loads of times as they look so good, but for lasting results and maximum durabilty as oil free base is a must.

I have put my glazes back on the shelf and done AIO, Autoglym Extra Gloss x 3 and #16 x 2 for winter, a slight compromise on looks, but it should last.

machboy
12-20-2005, 06:24 AM
the only reason i had asked this is i love the look that a glaze gives the paint and also like the durability of a sealent. But if can`t have my cake and eat it too i understand...hahah.

Scottwax
12-20-2005, 11:07 AM
the only reason i had asked this is i love the look that a glaze gives the paint and also like the durability of a sealent. But if can`t have my cake and eat it too i understand...hahah.

VM or RMG under EX w/carnauba is having your cake and eating it too. :idea

Mark77
12-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Interesting. the only sealant I have used over #80 is NXT, seems to work well. As soon as I get my SSR2,5 I will try using that with my Cyclo as a base for AIO + a sealant.

Richt
12-21-2005, 12:51 AM
VM or RMG under EX w/carnauba is having your cake and eating it too. :idea

A great combo on Solid colours, looks great on flat Black and Red, muted the flakes on my Met. black paint though. Shame as I loved that combo.

Interesting. the only sealant I have used over #80 is NXT, seems to work well. As soon as I get my SSR2,5 I will try using that with my Cyclo as a base for AIO + a sealant.

#80 and NXT should be fine as the cleaners in NXT should remove the oils left behind anyway.

stilez
12-21-2005, 06:23 AM
Theoretically, you should do a 50/50 IPA wipedown before the application of any sealant.

Using products like Klasse AIO or 4* UPC help with bonding and exnay the IPA wipedown.

Over a glaze, you are pretty much going for looks. I haven`t had great luck with any sealant bonding over, say, CK VM.