PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Dull to Shiny: Questions

donoman
12-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I recently bought a 1994 Miata and had to try to restore the dull, stained paint.

It was a clean car without too many scratches, but it was really lacking shine! And the surface of the paint was cloudy.

This is what I did:

Washed car (it didn`t bead at all)

Claybar everything w/ Quick Detailer

Hand applied: Mother`s paint cleaner (removed a lot of orange leaf-dying)

Porter Cable, with hard Sonus cutting pad: Klasse AIO - removed more surface oxidation and made it shinier

Hand applied: Klasse Sealant Glaze - no noticeable shine difference, but didn`t expect any.

I noticed that the car was much shinier but by no means shiny! I wondered a few things:

- Is it possible that the cutting pad did not allow me to get the shiniest finish? Should I have used the finishing pad on the orbital + AIO?

- Should I have used a more abrasive polish prior to using AIO?

- I recently bought two 3m products: FI2 and PI2. What is the difference!?! They look exactly the same to me and the instructions don`t really show a difference. The Perfect-It 2 instructions say it is approximately 1200 grit. How about the Finesse-It 2?

imported_gusbubba
12-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Wouldn`t use AIO with a cutting pad; the product`s just not that aggressive. Try a more aggressive product with the cutting pad, like the 3M you have (not sure of the diff. b/w the 2) or possibly a compound , depending on need, then maybe follow up with the AIO and a milder polishing pad to remove residue or any hazing.

My experiences with 3M polishes is that they dust like crazy, so you`ll need to clean the dust and residue well before you move on to your next step.

Hope this helps....

Sherman8r44
12-18-2005, 07:39 PM
You clearly have oxidation, so a chemical cleaner like AIO is perfect for the situation. It is very possible that the cutting pad left a somewhat "hazed" finish. Your best bet would have just to have used AIO with a Polishing pad and went to the KSG.

donoman
12-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks Shermanator!!!

That was a big question I`ve had... HOW MUCH DOES THE PAD-TYPE MATTER!?!?!

And apparently, what I am gathering from your response is, A LOT!!!

Ed Fisher
12-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I would have attacked the problem with a wool pad and the 3M F12 (from what I remember P stands for "polymer" and F for "Forte" meaning "strong"... Could be mistaken though)

Then start off with a foam pad and a polish. Sealant and wax would come last consequitively. A last coat of carnauba applied about 48 hours later would do the trick...

And yes, I do agree with Gus, 3m creates a dust bowl. A blower or compressed air would come in handy. BTW, watch out not to splatter product on that Miata` s grained plstic parts. It is next to impossible to remove it later... I would suggest you use some masking tape...

If you have a rotary (I have a Makita 9227C and I strongly recommend it) it could work wonders for you...

Good luck.

White95Max
12-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Would this Miata happen to be "Classic Red"? If so, check out these threads:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55127&highlight=miata+April

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63013&highlight=Protege

imported_Reflections
12-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Definately try a polish if not a compound before going for the AIO.