PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for removing milk from upholstery

imported_gusbubba
12-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Got an upcoming client who had a gallon of milk freeze then explode (?) in her car.( :chuckle: )

She says anyone she took it to told her there`s nothing they can do for her.

I`ve gotten minor milk spills out before , but she`s talking about a FULL GALLON with an odor to curl your toenails.

I`m working with standard equipment: APC, vacuum, handheld and PC brushes, etc....

Any suggestions or experiences appreciated.

Thanks.....

White95Max
12-18-2005, 08:25 PM
I don`t know...a gallon of milk can get into a lot of fabric. If it`s in the seats, I don`t think there`s much you can do about it. The whole interior of the seat is probably wet with rancid milk. :soscared:

Ed Fisher
12-18-2005, 10:30 PM
That is one yucky situation... Well there sure seems not much left to do but this time I will suggest some "out of our Autopian Minds" solution :

1- Take the seat out

2- Soak the seat completely (I mean drench it until water seeps from under the seat) with a mixture of 200 grams of baking soda in 10 liters of warm water. (Well you` ll need to convert these into your ounces and gallons but I` ll give you a guess: 5 1/2 ounces soda in 3 1/2 gallons of warm water)

3- Let it sit there for an hour.

4- Rinse well.

5- Mix a 1/4 liter of woolite into 10 liters of warm water and brush the upholstery with that mixture using generous amounts of the mixture.

6- Rinse thoroughly

7- Turn seat upside down and sprinkle generously with baking soda. Wet the soda and let it seep into the material. (Skip this if the seat` s filling is of a block of foam.) Do not rinse or wash it away.

8- If you have an interior drying machine (heavy duty hot air blower) use that to force dry it. If not, use a heat gun to dry it.

9- After dry, spray the seat generously with Febreeze or product alike.

If that does not help, tell the lady to go get her seat re-furbished.

If it does, well... she`ll owe you quite a lot and you` ll owe me a beer if I ever turn up in your place... ;)

Good luck...

imported_gusbubba
12-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Murat : That idea doesn`t sound so crazy...completely submersing it crossed my mind ,too. Just not sure if the seat can be reclaimed after the dousing with the equipment I have available.

If that idea were to work I`d owe you a whole damn case.

Max: You may be right. Not sure there`s much I can do but frustrate myself and make a big mess.

However , I will try to do SOMETHING with a caveat to the client that it may not be 100% successful.

Thanks guys...........

Ed Fisher
12-19-2005, 09:23 PM
...completely submersing it crossed my mind ,too. Just not sure if the seat can be reclaimed after the dousing with the equipment I have available.

If that idea were to work I`d owe you a whole damn case............

Not submerse it but drench it with the mixture / solution I suggested. You can always use your vac` s sprinkler (if it is equipped with it; you know those "extractor types")

Hey, you can use your extractor if you have one to remove the excess mixture after you let it sit there for an hour.

Well I did this for mom` s Saab`s backseat when her sister (my aunt of course) borrowed the car for two days and forgot a 2 lbs minced meat package on the backseat for two days !! The smell ? I still gag when I remember it !! It took me some "quality time" removing the maggots first under the august heat !!! (It gets to around 42 degrees C here in those days ya know) The bloody juices came out nicely after this practice...

The car never smelled again...

imported_gusbubba
12-20-2005, 06:33 AM
Not submerse it but drench it with the mixture / solution I suggested. You can always use your vac` s sprinkler (if it is equipped with it; you know those "extractor types")

Hey, you can use your extractor if you have one to remove the excess mixture after you let it sit there for an hour.

I follow you; `submerse` may have been a bit facetious, but I know what you`re gettin` at.

I`ve been searching around and come across techniques where different products are either injected or temporarily embedded into the foam to neutralize/absorb odors and moisture...one of them being some kind of volcanic rock of some sort (?). Ever heard of this?

I may also be able to borrow an extractor from my father-in-law.

Try that first, then move on to the more exotic.

Thanks again.....

imported_eLrEyNaDa
12-20-2005, 06:33 AM
What you need to remove the odour is a cleaner made with bacteria which will digest the bacteria that creates the odour. What you have to do is soak the carpet or whatever the fabrics to keep the affected area wet for a while. The longer you keep the area wet the better the bacteria will do is job. Use a warm water cause it`s a better environment for the bacteria to grow. If you don`t know any Bacteria based cleaners suppliers, joined me or visit our website www.amerifrance.net it`s a french website but maybe you`ll do your way through it.

imported_gusbubba
12-20-2005, 06:43 AM
What you need to remove the odour is a cleaner made with bacteria which will digest the bacteria that creates the odour. What you have to do is soak the carpet or whatever the fabrics to keep the affected area wet for a while. The longer you keep the area wet the better the bacteria will do is job. Use a warm water cause it`s a better environment for the bacteria to grow. If you don`t know any Bacteria based cleaners suppliers, joined me or visit our website www.amerifrance.net it`s a french website but maybe you`ll do your way through it.

Thanks for the advice and the link.

I`m surprised at how much of the French language I remember from college.

Not fluent , but at least enough to navigate the site. :D

Ed Fisher
12-20-2005, 09:44 PM
I follow you; `submerse` may have been a bit facetious, but I know what you`re gettin` at.

I`ve been searching around and come across techniques where different products are either injected or temporarily embedded into the foam to neutralize/absorb odors and moisture...one of them being some kind of volcanic rock of some sort (?). Ever heard of this?

I may also be able to borrow an extractor from my father-in-law.

Try that first, then move on to the more exotic.

Thanks again.....

Did ring a bell but I am not sure exactly of what it was...