PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a detailing kit

Pages : [1] 2

RVM
12-18-2005, 03:36 PM
I just bought a Black Sand Pearl 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 last week. I`ve gone through billions of posts here and haven`t really been able to figure a lot out. I`m new to the detailing world and don`t really know much about what is discussed here. Any help is very much appreciated.

What I`m looking for is a detailing kit for my new truck. I`m not as concerned with shine/gloss as I am durability. I do a lot out outdoorsy type activities and would like for my paint to really hold up, especially since it is black. I recently moved and have none of my old stuff left, and most of it was just junk you can buy at any autoparts place.

If someone had to start completely over and put together a kit to take care of my truck, inside and out, what would you buy (I hate glossy interiors and the steering wheel and shifter are leather). I need everything from cleaning rags to soap to wax/sealants.

Also, when cleaning the truck, what methods are best to prevent swirls and other marring of the paint?

I would like to stay under $200 initial cost.

Thank you to anyone who responds!

Sarcazmo
12-18-2005, 04:23 PM
It`s going to be hard to stay under 200 dollars, especially with a black car.

I just started from scratch, and I`ve probably spent around 300 so far, with many more future purchases planned.

With a black car, I would definately invest in a PC initially, you`ll be glad you did. Autopia has a deal which includes pads and a bottle of SFX-2 for a good price. The SFX-2 did a great job taking care of most of my scratches and is VERY easy to use.

After the SFX-2 I used Klasse AIO which is also very easy to use. You mentioned durability so you`ll definately want to use a sealant. I`ve seen some stunning results on black cars from using Menzerna FMJ.

For MF towels, I`d highly recommend pakshak products. They are very good, and have excellent customer servce. www.pakshak.com

I`m just a newbie, I`m sure more experienced users will chime in here with much better advice.

*edit* One thing I forgot to add. You just spent a lot of money on a nice truck, don`t skimp out on the products that will keep it looking new. AND... :welcome

*2nd edit* For technique tips etc I`d highly recommend www.autopia-carcare.com and www.autogeek.net

holland_patrick
12-18-2005, 05:00 PM
OK

PC rom lowes 100

Pads from where ever( I like the edge 2000 k pads and if you step up to rotary you can switch them easy to your new tool)

Polish Opt polish

Now here is where your taste comes in

Zanio is a Rocking sealant

Poorboys has the best wax Natty`s blue

I like Porboys nateral look for the inside and some poeple have used it for tires also

But i got in to PB bold and bright this winter and will see how it holds up to the winter.

PLenty of MF towels....

4 good wash mits and two buckets with a grit guard.

Blackfire has a nice clay kit with good towels

Lots of microfibers(packshak,poorboys)

Oh ya the one thing I thing i couldn`t live with out is my Poorboys wheel sealant.

I hope that helps

imported_NHBFAN
12-18-2005, 05:35 PM
I just bought a Black Sand Pearl 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 last week. I`ve gone through billions of posts here and haven`t really been able to figure a lot out. I`m new to the detailing world and don`t really know much about what is discussed here. Any help is very much appreciated.

What I`m looking for is a detailing kit for my new truck. I`m not as concerned with shine/gloss as I am durability. I do a lot out outdoorsy type activities and would like for my paint to really hold up, especially since it is black. I recently moved and have none of my old stuff left, and most of it was just junk you can buy at any autoparts place.

If someone had to start completely over and put together a kit to take care of my truck, inside and out, what would you buy (I hate glossy interiors and the steering wheel and shifter are leather). I need everything from cleaning rags to soap to wax/sealants.

Also, when cleaning the truck, what methods are best to prevent swirls and other marring of the paint?

I would like to stay under $200 initial cost.

Thank you to anyone who responds!

I recently detailed a friend`s 10 year old 4x4 black Toyota. The paint wasn`t well cared for but you can do miracles with black paint, a good polish, and a Porter Cable radom orbital buffer.

In general sealant systems offer more durability than conventional waxes. Some of the more popular sealants include: Zaino, Klasse, FMJ, JWAJ, PBs, and many others.

Here`s some articles on paint care:

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/topics.php?topicId=17

Congrats on the new truck and Welcome!

RVM
12-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the great advice so far! I have been reading up on Zaino for quite some time, and while it is expensive, it seems like it will do what I need it to do and do it better than any other product.

What do all the acronyms you guys are using mean? For example, what is a PC?

I`d like to stay under $200, but I could stretch that a bit if necessary.

What specifically would I need, aesthetically speaking, to fully care for my truck? So far I think I need this: Good quality microfiber rags, Zaino (though which Zaino I`m still not sure), umm, I`m not sure what soap. I used to just use Dawn dish detergent - any thoughts on this? Hmm, a clay bar... though I`m not sure how or when to use it. Can you folks tell I really don`t have a clue? :)

As always, all help and advice is very much appreciated and I hope my questions don`t seem too ridiculous!

Thanks!

RVM
12-18-2005, 07:55 PM
I just read that guide to detailing you linked NHBFAN. Good stuff! Thank you!

holland_patrick
12-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the great advice so far! I have been reading up on Zaino for quite some time, and while it is expensive, it seems like it will do what I need it to do and do it better than any other product.

What do all the acronyms you guys are using mean? For example, what is a PC?

I`d like to stay under $200, but I could stretch that a bit if necessary.

What specifically would I need, aesthetically speaking, to fully care for my truck? So far I think I need this: Good quality microfiber rags, Zaino (though which Zaino I`m still not sure), umm, I`m not sure what soap. I used to just use Dawn dish detergent - any thoughts on this? Hmm, a clay bar... though I`m not sure how or when to use it. Can you folks tell I really don`t have a clue? :)

As always, all help and advice is very much appreciated and I hope my questions don`t seem too ridiculous!

Thanks!

OK you need to do some reading

Dawn is for dishes not for cars..

Claying should be done before polishing a PC is a random obit buffer VERY safe for your truck

Z-5 would be what you need

get 2 buckets and look up two bucket wash.

Sherman8r44
12-18-2005, 08:03 PM
A guide I like even better: http://ocdetails.com/html/ocd_university.html

RVM
12-18-2005, 08:10 PM
hahahah OCD University! Perfect for me!

Holland Patrick: Yep, I need to do quite a bit of research. I`m in the process right now, in fact, and hopefully by the end of the week I`ll know just what to do. There is an awful lot of mud on my truck right now that really needs to not be there. :)

So a PC is a random orbital buffer? Then what does PC stand for? A brand name?

Thanks!

holland_patrick
12-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Porter cable

Sherman8r44
12-18-2005, 08:14 PM
PC stands for the brand name Porter-Cable, and yes it is a random orbit polisher. But it isn`t just any random orbit polisher, it`s THE random orbit polisher.

Just a thought, if you maintain your interior very often Meg`s Quik Interior Detailer is perfect for you. No gloss, cleans just about any surface, leaves some light protection. Also, your outdoorsy activites must mean that the truck gets dirty, so some Poorboy`s Bug Squash would be a good pre-wash for the lower sections of the vehicle.

RVM
12-18-2005, 08:22 PM
My truck is currently covered in mud, and I`m sure if most of you saw it you would start to cry. :)

wytstang
12-18-2005, 08:24 PM
http://www.specialtymotoring.com/kits.htm

"Perfect Paint Prep kit" and "Four stars Ultimate Twins"

And for budget quality mf towels either exceldetail.com or http://winnerscircledetailingproducts.com/default.asp

imported_NHBFAN
12-18-2005, 08:28 PM
What do all the acronyms you guys are using mean?

http://autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring

RVM
12-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Is this the buffer you guys are referring to?

Click me (http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2805)