PDA

View Full Version : Question about process

jacks
12-18-2005, 11:19 AM
I have just started reading this very usefule forum and had a question. I just got a preowned car from a dealership and the dealer detailed it before I picked it up. The car is black the paint looks good to me. The dealer used 3m sealant and after I started reading this forum, and learned a few things, I put on 3 coats of KSG and topped with Natty`s Blue.

My question is - Since I am unsure of the dealers process and if they polished the paint, would the paint look better if I stated all over with AIO, KSG, and then Natty`s or would it not be worth the effort?

Thanks for the help.

Accumulator
12-18-2005, 12:45 PM
jacks- Welcome to Autopia! I bet that once you spent some time here you started thinking there must be all sorts of ways to make your car look even better, huh? Heh heh, these forums can have that effect on you!

IMO it`s almost certainly not worth redoing your car at this point. As you said, it looks good to you. Case closed IMO ;) I`m not a big fan of doing work that doesn`t need to be done.

Using the AIO/SG/NB approach would only modify what you have now by using AIO to clean off everything the dealer put on. You might not want to do that since the dealer stuff might be hiding some marring. Better to let sleeping dogs lie and not force yourself to have to deal with this sooner than necessary. No point in polishing the car more/sooner than necessary.

Washing a dark car without inducing marring is very difficult, so I`d concentrate my efforts on learning how to do this. First off, I`d get a foamgun and some very soft WW MFs. Pick a high lubricity shampoo and see how the next few washes go. With the SG x 3 and the NB on there, it should be well protected for now.

White95Max
12-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Often those dealerships like to use a glaze with tons of fillers. That means that, as Accumulator said, there could be some marring being hidden under this glaze. If you were to use a different polish or cleaner, you might remove those fillers and reveal a ton of tiny scratches. They would be there either way, but you would now have to either put up with the marring, or polish it out.

And I definitely agree about learning how to wash a car properly. There`s no sense in polishing a dark colored car if you don`t know how to properly wash it. You`ll be seeing new scratches after every wash. :soscared:

:welcome to Autopia! :wavey