PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Vs. Meguiars Polishes

petraidm
12-18-2005, 05:30 AM
For those of you who have used both:

- How does Optimum Compound compare to DCAP?

- How does Optimum Polish compare to #80?

Be as specific as possible in your comparison please. Specifically, I am looking for effectiveness of removing defects and ease of use with a PC.

I am try to resist the dark side by limiting but it draws me to trying these. The only other polish (besides DCAP and #80) I have used is Menzurna FP. I will be detailing my son`s black Accord as part of his Christmas present and of course it is not in great shape. I plan on using Zaino since he`s away at school and only get the car twice a year. In addition, I`ll be getting the new Passat in January and understand that VW`s have pretty hard clear.

EBPcivicsi
12-18-2005, 06:12 AM
VIA rotayr, I can give you alittle insight, but via PC I am not quite sure,

Via rotary with a polishing pad *for me* OC is just a touch more aggressive then DACP. Perhaps it`s my process....

I find OP to be in between #80 and #82, fairly mild IMO.

Take this for what it`s worth, I learned on the Meguiars polishes--they are *my* standard, baseline, and go to polishes. IMO the 80`s series for removing defects via rotary are >*

If you are working via PC you may want to check out the poorboys line, easy to use with the PC, cheap, and work in any environment. You would probably want SSR2.5, SSR2 (optional IMO), and SSR1.

Richt
12-18-2005, 07:53 AM
I have only tried the Opt polish here. By PC I found it fairly mild, akin to #80 for me with a polishing pad. I did however find the #80 slightly more user friendly.

I get on better with the Poorboys line for paint correction but have found the Opt polish does work well as a follow up with a polishing pad by PC, to say SSR 2 or 2.5 when they have been used with a cutting pad.

petraidm
12-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Haven`t tried the SSR`s and the only latenative I am considering is the Optimum products based on what I`ve read so far. Based on the two posts thus far ... not much of an incentive to try th optimum products .... Any more input?

Thomas Dekany
12-18-2005, 09:38 PM
In addition, I`ll be getting the new Passat in January and understand that VW`s have pretty hard clear.

1 - I`d get silver or some other light metallic color

2 - get one that still has the plastic protectant on the paint.

3 - you prep it at home and you can keep it in perfect condition - no need to correct hard VW paint :D

Alfisti
12-19-2005, 03:14 AM
For those of you who have used both:

- How does Optimum Compound compare to DCAP?

- How does Optimum Polish compare to #80?

Be as specific as possible in your comparison please. Specifically, I am looking for effectiveness of removing defects and ease of use with a PC.

Having used MPP, which performs in a similar way to OP, you can`t make easy comparisons with *regular* polishes. These new generation of polishes are very pad dependant and can be used with very aggressive pads to create a fine finish.

For example, MPP (and OP) used with a Megs burgandy pad can be as aggressive as #83 used with a polishing pad, and leave a similar finish. Try #83 with a burgundy pad and you`ll dull the surface to oblivion.

Based on that, I would suggest that OC can be more aggressive than #83, and OP can be more aggressive than #80. It just depends on pad choice.

EBPcivicsi
12-19-2005, 07:14 AM
IMO, ALL polishes are pad dependent. One could easily use DACP with a twisted wool pad (rotary), DACP with a polishing pad (rotary), then finish with DACP via PC, apply LSP and the finish would flawlwss. Same thing could be said for #80.

IMO, the pad dependency of the optimum is not really revolutionary, but rather more widely stated because the line lacked a *really* strong compound. Obviously this predates the release of the hyper compound.

s2skimon
12-19-2005, 07:34 AM
I don`t find any difference in cutting between Optimum Compound and Polish with rotary. Both are useless imho. I prefer DACP. However, the new Optimum Hyper i find works better than DACP as there`s more cut and no dusting and less sling. With a pc, there is a longer work in period and many more passes with Optimum than with DACP.

petraidm
12-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Agree with you all concerning polish / pad relationship. Currently I am comfortable using DCAP and #80 and know which pads to use with my PC depending on the sitation. Given this, I trying to see how the polishs compare. Hyper indicates that Optimum Hyper must be work longer .... This is the kind of information I am looking for.

spotpad
12-19-2005, 06:28 PM
I don`t find any difference in cutting between Optimum Compound and Polish with rotary. Both are useless imho. I prefer DACP. However, the new Optimum Hyper i find works better than DACP as there`s more cut and no dusting and less sling. With a pc, there is a longer work in period and many more passes with Optimum than with DACP.

The only way to know for sure (on a particular finish) is to use a high-resolution paint / coating thickness gauge like Checkline`s DCFN-3000FX.

Scottwax
12-19-2005, 08:17 PM
The main advantage Optimum has over Meguiars is the lack of dusting. #80 isn`t bad but #83 can be a bit dusty.

The Hyper Compound is definitely more aggressive than DACP and finishes down a bit better (via PC), OP and #80 both finish down great, #80 a bit wetter looking on dark colors.

RAG
12-19-2005, 10:06 PM
OHC finishes down amazingly well (via rotary at least) given it`s ability to cut. Very little dust is also huge plus. Personally, if DACP is a 6 on the cut scale, OHC is a 7 and OC is a 5. I`d then give OP a 4 and #80 a 3. Just my experience though.

EBPcivicsi
12-20-2005, 06:38 AM
OHC finishes down amazingly well (via rotary at least) given it`s ability to cut. Very little dust is also huge plus. Personally, if DACP is a 6 on the cut scale, OHC is a 7 and OC is a 5. I`d then give OP a 4 and #80 a 3. Just my experience though.

I definitely agree with your aggressive rankings (though I give #80 a 4), that certainly corresponds to my findings.

I get a little dust with DACP via PC, but with the rotary I get little to no dust. IMO, it is because the product takes so long to break down via PC. With the rotary the product stays just wet enough to lubricate, then breaks down quickly. It seems to me that the Meguiars 80 series was really designed with the rotary user in mind, the ability to be used with a PC is just an added bonus.

I like both lines, but I get faster, better results from the Meguiars line.

<<<<admitted Meguiars nutswinger....