PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing my leather

Pages : [1] 2

Wicho
12-16-2005, 09:18 PM
I have a 97 Cadillac Deville. The leather has seen better days. At the moment it does not have any cracks. What it does have is slight discoloring. I was told I can buy a dye and re dye the leather. Where can I get this dye ? The interior of my car is light tan, beige kinda. What type of process is this ? Thanks for any help

C. Charles Hahn
12-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Got any pictures of what you`re talking about? It could just need a good cleaning. Especially if there are no cracks, you probably won`t want to (or really be easily able to) re-dye the leather as a DIY project. GM uses what is called "coated leather" -- meaning it has a sealant on it which doesn`t allow things to get into the pores, rather only the texture atop the leather.

An upholstery shop could probably do it, though, since they will know more about specifically the coated leathers.

Wicho
12-17-2005, 07:57 PM
To the top ^

White95Max
12-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Have you tried to just clean and condition the leather?

C. Charles Hahn
12-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Have you tried to just clean and condition the leather?

:LOLOL is there an echo in the building?

Black BB
12-17-2005, 09:19 PM
http://www.premiumautocare.com/sempaaepr.html

SEM is the best for doing anything to your interior. I`ve used the aerosol personally on my Impala. I`ve dyed my stock dash pad from gray to black, center console lid, door panel carpet. i`m getting ready to do my seats with the Sure Coat. I will have pics when done.

gmblack3
12-18-2005, 05:59 AM
www.leatherique.com

jcattarulla
12-18-2005, 01:58 PM
My 2005 BMW 545`s black leather looks a little faded (whitish) in spots. Lexol cleaner and conditioner didn`t do the trick. Diluted Woolite didn`t work. And 303 didn`t work.

Which/What do you recommend I use to get it back to it`s clean blackest?

Would Zaino Z9 and Z10 do it?

White95Max
12-18-2005, 02:16 PM
I don`t think the leather on your 2005 BMW would be visibly faded already. It`s even more doubtful that it would just be faded in spots.

I think those spots sound like small stains. But those should have been removed with the leather cleaner. :confused:

Got any pics for us?

jcattarulla
12-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I think that you can see some of the whitish spots in this picture.

Neither did Lexol, 303, or diluted Woolite.

What`s next?

White95Max
12-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Seeing that you`re in Atlanta, where it`s often hot/humid, I think those may have been caused by sweat. Bodily oils degrade leather (often seen on steering wheels). If bare skin is often resting on those spotted areas (or if sweat goes through your shirt onto those areas, it could have an effect on the leather.

Since you said you tried leather cleaner and Woolite already, to no avail, I`m not sure what to try next.

jcattarulla
12-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Hmm, that stinks.

Do you think maybe my technique is off?

Would it be possible to dye those spots- or would the entire interior need to be dyed so it all matches?

White95Max
12-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Well how did you apply the cleaner and how long did you work it into the leather?

jcattarulla
12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Lexol Cleaner: applied with a terry covered sponge, agitatd, then buffed with a MF towel. Followed up by Lexol Conditioner, same methodology.

Woolite, diluted 1 part to 6 parts water: sprayed on and wiped in and buffed with an MF towel.

303: same process as the diluted woolite.

Am I doing it wrong? Could I do it more effectively?

C. Charles Hahn
12-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Lexol Cleaner: applied with a terry covered sponge, agitatd, then buffed with a MF towel. Followed up by Lexol Conditioner, same methodology.

Woolite, diluted 1 part to 6 parts water: sprayed on and wiped in and buffed with an MF towel.

303: same process as the diluted woolite.

Am I doing it wrong? Could I do it more effectively?

What did you use to agitate the lexol cleaner? I`m restoring a couple leather seats yet tonight (they`re being installed in my truck tomorrow) so I`ll see what I can do about some pics and such for you. It seems like your solution wasn`t too far off; but you may need to get a little more agressive with them.

Do the spots you have feel sticky, or have a texture to them at all? Just curious....