PDA

View Full Version : rain washing away salt on cars?

fullvllan
12-16-2005, 04:13 PM
do you think rain is effective for washing away road salt on cars?

White95Max
12-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Rain is water, which dissolves salt ions. So yes, rainwater will wash away road salt (slowly), but the most important part IMO to worry about corrosion from road salt is the undercarriage. Rainwater doesn`t have access to the undercarriage. You`ll get some spray from the tires that hits the undercarriage, but for the most part, that salt is only rinsed away by spraying water directly at it.

Intercooled
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Thats tommorows work. Its going to be around 40 here so hopefully it is and I am going to wash the undercarriage down and also wash the exterior.

atticdog
12-16-2005, 06:28 PM
if its raining hard aim for some big puddles to spray the undercarriage

III
12-16-2005, 07:14 PM

To a point. It`s not as effective compared to a normal wash.

Intercooled
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
if its raining hard aim for some big puddles to spray the undercarriage

I do that!

imported_chpsk8
12-16-2005, 09:15 PM
ARe you asking if it`s acceptable and adequete to just sit the car out in the rain to wash off the salt instead of just washing it?

Uh... not here in the land of Autopia!!!! Thats plain blasphemy!!! (sp)

Black240SX
12-16-2005, 09:19 PM
I roll my car over to let the rain clean the underside.

lbls1
12-16-2005, 09:41 PM
It will wash away excessive build up of salt, but the panels must be washed thoroughly with a car wash solution. It is best not to allow salt to accumulate on your paint for an extended period if the weather permits. Salt is a well known catalyst for rust, and it does punish the paint if left neglected.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-17-2005, 05:47 AM

Why not wash your car in the rain?

Think about it, if it`s warm enough to be raining, then it is surely warm enough to thoroughly wash your car and remove all of the salt. Of course your neighbors may think it`s a bit strange. However, during the cold winter months it`s probably the best time to get out there and wash your car.

specs
12-17-2005, 03:51 PM
your neighbors may think youre strange, but who cares? its your car. everytime i come back from the snow, i would always spray the undercarriage thoroughly.

like what everyone said, rain will slowly do the job, but not very effectively.

:D